Nicolas Batum says he should be an All-Star

Jan 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

The starters for the All-Star game will be revealed Jan. 23 live on TNT, but the reserves are voted on by the coaches in each conference and we’ll have to wait at least another week to see how the complete rosters shake out.

Since the fans vote in the starters, most of those positions have been solidified. The reserves are a little but more subjective, but there are a few players who simply can’t be ignored and are locks to make the squad. The rest of the spots, especially in the deeper Western Conference, are going to be more difficult to fill.

If coaches are interested in hearing the case for any particular player, they can look no further than Nicolas Batum, who believes his numbers, along with Portland’s stellar start to the season should be enough to earn him All-Star status.

From Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com:

LaMarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard are virtual locks to be in New Orleans playing on that Sunday. So when asked Saturday night if he feels like he deserves to be an All-Star, the small forward didn’t hesitate to give you his thoughts.

“Yes, of course,” Batum said to CSNNW.com. “If they have to pick one small forward behind K.D. (Kevin Durant), I think it should be me.”

Why?

“Because of the numbers that I have and the way I play with this team,” he responded. “I got two triple-doubles and I should have about five or six. And we’re 31-9, maybe the best team in the West so far. I think it’ll be tough to get three All-Stars because Damian and L.A. are going to be in it. And our coach, too. But I deserve consideration.”

The problem for Batum may be that there doesn’t have to be another small forward added to the roster. Partly due to the lack of great centers in the league these days, the NBA went away from positional distinction in the fan voting process, now designating players as either playing frontcourt or backcourt positions.

Batum went on to say that the Blazers should get three players in if they’re at the top of the standings, and while that’s certainly not unprecedented, it’s going to be extremely difficult to justify. Batum is playing well, no question. But unless injuries open up some spots, he’s probably not making the All-Star team this year.

1. hannsta - Jan 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Batuuumshakala

• hannsta - Jan 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM

shakalaka*

2. greej1938l - Jan 19, 2014 at 11:15 PM

So should I but I’m 5 foot 6 White and have never played competitive basketball on my life.

• ranfan12 - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM

which invalidates your claim, since you have on contributions lol

3. antistratfordian - Jan 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Nah man, nah.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:27 AM

I feel you. He’s a really good 3rd guy to have on a really good team but I don’t feel he’s an All-Star at all. He’s of the Chandler Parsons/Gordon Hayward mold. Just a really solid 3rd guy. Which is in no way a knock in the least bit. But, no for me as an AS.

• casualcommenter - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Agreed. He’s a good player, no doubt, but a 13 pts – 7 rbs – 6 asts per game statline isn’t going to get him to the All-Star game in the ultra-competitive Western Conference.

4. 24thesho - Jan 20, 2014 at 6:31 AM

When one has to start making statements about themselves in this regard, it then become even more obvious that he should not. Let it come to you.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 20, 2014 at 6:42 AM

Well in all fairness he was asked a question, and he responded as someone who has supreme confidence in ones self. What else should he have said when put in that position? If I were him I’d prolly say the same thing. But I do hear and feel your overall statement.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview