Jan 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:15 p.m.: The Bobcats announced that an MRI revealed a second degree sprain in Kemba Walker‘s left ankle that is expected to sideline him up 10-14 days.
2:00 p.m.: You knew it wasn’t going to be good when Kemba Walker’s teammates had to carry him to the locker room because he couldn’t put any weight on his left ankle.
Four minutes into the third quarter Saturday night against Miami, Walker blocked a shot on defense and as the Bobcats got back to the other end he went for a layup but stepped on Chris Bosh’s foot.
X-rays were negative but Walker didn’t return, and an MRI is scheduled for Sunday. Coach Steve Clifford said that Walker would be out “a while” with this injury.
That will be a huge blow to the Bobcats — Walker leads them in scoring (18.7 a game) plus he dishes out five assists a night as the focal point of their offense. Charlotte will lean more on Ramon Sessions, and while he can make some plays, that is a pretty big drop off.
Charlotte is currently the nine seed in the East at 17-25, one game back of surging Brooklyn as the eight seed. With Walker out they could drop a little ways, more than they could make up in the East.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 29
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 61
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 32
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 75