Jan 18, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
There was some tension in the air Friday night in San Antonio — the Trail Blazers came into town and beat the Spurs. There are questions about this Spurs team, which is 31-9 overall but just 11-8 vs. teams over .500, this just kind of added to those questions.
Gregg Popovich was wound up — he went after referee Mark Ayotte during a third quarter timeout. Ayotte handled it well, tried to walk away and T’d up Popovich, who became incensed and had assistant coaches trying to get between them. Crew chief Bill Kennedy stepped in with the second technical and the ejection.
Feel free to wonder if Popovich was trying to get tossed — the Spurs went on a 23-12 run and retook the lead after this incident. However, in the fourth LaMarcus Aldridge helped spark a 16-6 Blazers run and Portland went on to win the game 109-100.
Hat tip to Ben Golliver at SI for the video.
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 0
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 8
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 14
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 25
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20