Jan 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets are reportedly close to making two separate trades that will be of little consequence to their product on the court, or to the average fan.
But they may be setting themselves up for something bigger in the future.
A separate deal with the Pelicans (also reported by Wojnarowski) has Brooklyn sending Tyshawn Taylor to New Orleans with cash in exchange for a future draft pick.
The latter move is likely of more interest, since it creates a roster spot that could allow the Nets to use the disabled player exception they were granted when Brook Lopez was lost for the season due to injury.
There’s a prohibitive cost associated with using that $5.25 million exception to go out and get some additional talent, likely in the $16-$20 million range when luxury tax penalties are considered. But the team applied for it for a reason, and it would appear they are making these moves in case an opportunity to add another piece presents itself.
Taylor averaged 3.9 points and 1.6 assists in 11.7 minutes per game for Brooklyn this season, while appearing in 23 contests. He had fallen out of the rotation since the middle of December, however, and will be remembered most for his role in the drink-spilling incident involving Jason Kidd that took place earlier this season.
Teague is a player similar in skill set to Taylor, and Shengalia didn’t play much at all for the Nets. But Brooklyn is taking on an additional year of guaranteed salary in order to add Teague to the roster.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11