Jan 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets are reportedly close to making two separate trades that will be of little consequence to their product on the court, or to the average fan.
But they may be setting themselves up for something bigger in the future.
A separate deal with the Pelicans (also reported by Wojnarowski) has Brooklyn sending Tyshawn Taylor to New Orleans with cash in exchange for a future draft pick.
The latter move is likely of more interest, since it creates a roster spot that could allow the Nets to use the disabled player exception they were granted when Brook Lopez was lost for the season due to injury.
There’s a prohibitive cost associated with using that $5.25 million exception to go out and get some additional talent, likely in the $16-$20 million range when luxury tax penalties are considered. But the team applied for it for a reason, and it would appear they are making these moves in case an opportunity to add another piece presents itself.
Taylor averaged 3.9 points and 1.6 assists in 11.7 minutes per game for Brooklyn this season, while appearing in 23 contests. He had fallen out of the rotation since the middle of December, however, and will be remembered most for his role in the drink-spilling incident involving Jason Kidd that took place earlier this season.
Teague is a player similar in skill set to Taylor, and Shengalia didn’t play much at all for the Nets. But Brooklyn is taking on an additional year of guaranteed salary in order to add Teague to the roster.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43