Jan 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Patrick Beverley was thriving as a member of the Rockets this season, starting in 24 of his 25 appearances and providing an energetic spark on both ends of the floor that positively impacted his team’s lineup.
Beverley suffered a fractured hand injury in late December that was expected to sideline him for up to six weeks, but he appears on track to return as early as Monday against the Blazers.
Within a month of suffering a fractured hand, Houston Rockets guard Patrick Beverley will return to the lineup against Portland on Monday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Beverley, who was injured on Dec. 23, has been practicing with the Rockets this week and the team trainers cleared him to return to the court on Monday, sources said.
Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reported that Beverley went through shootaround Saturday and was optimistic about taking the floor against the Bucks, but later said that the guard’s status remained unchanged and that Monday was more likely.
As we noted at the time, the Rockets were well-equipped to handle the temporary loss of Beverley, thanks to guys like Jeremy Lin and Aaron Brooks who had proven capable of playing meaningful minutes alongside the ball-dominant James Harden. But the added depth will certainly help.
Beverley gained some notoriety during last year’s playoffs, when an aggressive defensive play resulted in Russell Westbrook suffering a torn lateral meniscus that required season-ending surgery. He’s averaged 9.6 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 31.5 minutes per game this season.
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 1
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 20
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 1
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 33
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 10