Jan 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Patrick Beverley was thriving as a member of the Rockets this season, starting in 24 of his 25 appearances and providing an energetic spark on both ends of the floor that positively impacted his team’s lineup.
Beverley suffered a fractured hand injury in late December that was expected to sideline him for up to six weeks, but he appears on track to return as early as Monday against the Blazers.
Within a month of suffering a fractured hand, Houston Rockets guard Patrick Beverley will return to the lineup against Portland on Monday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Beverley, who was injured on Dec. 23, has been practicing with the Rockets this week and the team trainers cleared him to return to the court on Monday, sources said.
Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reported that Beverley went through shootaround Saturday and was optimistic about taking the floor against the Bucks, but later said that the guard’s status remained unchanged and that Monday was more likely.
As we noted at the time, the Rockets were well-equipped to handle the temporary loss of Beverley, thanks to guys like Jeremy Lin and Aaron Brooks who had proven capable of playing meaningful minutes alongside the ball-dominant James Harden. But the added depth will certainly help.
Beverley gained some notoriety during last year’s playoffs, when an aggressive defensive play resulted in Russell Westbrook suffering a torn lateral meniscus that required season-ending surgery. He’s averaged 9.6 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 31.5 minutes per game this season.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 2
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29