Jameer Nelson after being fined for obscene gesture: ‘I’ll do it again’

Jan 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

The NBA views what Jameer Nelson did in celebration of hitting a big shot against the Bulls earlier this week as an “obscene gesture,” and routinely fines players who continue to rejoice in this way.

We all know it as the “big balls dance,” made famous by Sam Cassell.

Nelson was slapped with a $15,000 fine for it, but doesn’t exactly regret his show of emotion.

From Ken Hornack of Fox Sports Florida (via HoopsHype):

“I accept the fine,” Nelson said Friday at the Magic’s shootaround before their game against the Charlotte Bobcats. “Hopefully I won’t get emotional again. If I have to pay $15,000 for our fans to get excited I’ll do it again.”

Nelson came within a point of tying his career high when he poured in 31 against the Bulls. The 30 field goals he shot were a season high for any Magic player, and his 13 3-point attempts tied Arron Afflalo‘s total on Dec. 3 in a double-overtime loss at Philadelphia.

“If I offended anyone, I’m sorry,” he said. “Basketball is a fun game, and you get emotional. You never see my emotions, but you did that game.”

The league considers its product to be a family-friendly one, so their position on fining players for this particular celebration is understandable when viewing it in that light.

Much like the toothless warnings for flopping, however, if players feel the need to break this out when the mood strikes, a $15,000 fine against millions in annual salary isn’t likely to act as much of a deterrent.

1. davidly - Jan 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Yeah, right. ‘Cuz nothing is more hostile towards families than an expression of testicular fortitude.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM

You won’t see Mickey Mouse grabbing his ballsac over in Disneyworld.

• money2long - Jan 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM

that’d be epic

2. goldmember21 - Jan 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM

LOL^

3. coffeeblack95616 - Jan 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Example 73564 of how dumb these basketball players are: “If I have to pay $15,000 for our fans to get excited I’ll do it again.”
    Yeah, because the fans were bored until he gesticulated his stupid “big balls” for taking a 15 foot jump-shot. What a moron. If people really needed that to get themselves excited, they wouldn’t go to a basketball game.

4. magicfanintn - Jan 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM

You left the rest of his quote off. He ended with, “If I have to pay $15,000 for our fans to get excited I’ll do it again. That was a joke.” I think it might have been John Denton or Joshua Robbins with the video after practice the morning after the Bulls game.

5. pauliewalnuts90 - Jan 18, 2014 at 7:24 PM

You can take the player out of Chester— but you can’t take the Chester out the player.

• misremembered72 - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Jameer Nelson is a stand up guy. He basically proves that even in terrible neighborhoods like chester, blanket statements like that aren’t always true

6. coffeeblack95616 - Jan 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Lol, your emotions are to simulate having huge balls as you make a 12 footer? Really? Some emotion that must be.

7. 00maltliquor - Jan 19, 2014 at 3:17 AM

coffeeblack95616 aka Buzz Killington

8. chicagosports2014 - Jan 19, 2014 at 3:54 AM

Hahaha,Orlando still lost the game Jameer.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures