Jan 17, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets have OK uniforms. They’re clean and simple, two traits I usually value, but they’re just a little too simple:
Back when the franchise was the New York Nets, they had really cool red-white-and-blue uniforms:
Might the Nets try integrating the vertical stars-and-stripes on the left side of their black-and-white uniforms? Paul Lukas of Uni Watch has obtained a rendering of just that, reportedly created by the Nets.
You’ll have to click through to see the jersey, but it’s worth it. It looks awesome.
There’s just one catch: Lukas says the real version will have sleeves. Ugh (though I think I would take the the tradeoff if forced).
It’s not clear where this jersey is in development or how often the Nets would wear it, but I’d certainly endorse it becoming their standard home jersey, with the corresponding road jersey inspired by this:
Lukas has also obtained a mockup of the soon-to-be Charlotte Hornets home uniform (again click through to see). It’s solid, though just having the purple-and-teal Charlotte Hornets back might be skewing my opinion too positive. I don’t really like the “Hornets” font, and the numbers are too blocky. But the understated style and one-sided vertical stripes are cool.
Lastly, Lukas includes one his reader’s really cool designs. Remember when All-Stars used to wear their own teams’ uniforms like this?
The NBA, wanting to sell All-Star jerseys, won’t go back to that. But the hometown pride in a national contest certainly added something, and I liked the aesthetics.
So how about a compromise? All-Stars still wear the colors representing their conference, but the uniform has the logo of their actual team and is stylized for their actual team. Check out the examples here.
I think those might even sell better than the current All-Star jerseys.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49