Jan 17, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
The Brooklyn Nets have OK uniforms. They’re clean and simple, two traits I usually value, but they’re just a little too simple:
Back when the franchise was the New York Nets, they had really cool red-white-and-blue uniforms:
Might the Nets try integrating the vertical stars-and-stripes on the left side of their black-and-white uniforms? Paul Lukas of Uni Watch has obtained a rendering of just that, reportedly created by the Nets.
You’ll have to click through to see the jersey, but it’s worth it. It looks awesome.
There’s just one catch: Lukas says the real version will have sleeves. Ugh (though I think I would take the the tradeoff if forced).
It’s not clear where this jersey is in development or how often the Nets would wear it, but I’d certainly endorse it becoming their standard home jersey, with the corresponding road jersey inspired by this:
Lukas has also obtained a mockup of the soon-to-be Charlotte Hornets home uniform (again click through to see). It’s solid, though just having the purple-and-teal Charlotte Hornets back might be skewing my opinion too positive. I don’t really like the “Hornets” font, and the numbers are too blocky. But the understated style and one-sided vertical stripes are cool.
Lastly, Lukas includes one his reader’s really cool designs. Remember when All-Stars used to wear their own teams’ uniforms like this?
The NBA, wanting to sell All-Star jerseys, won’t go back to that. But the hometown pride in a national contest certainly added something, and I liked the aesthetics.
So how about a compromise? All-Stars still wear the colors representing their conference, but the uniform has the logo of their actual team and is stylized for their actual team. Check out the examples here.
I think those might even sell better than the current All-Star jerseys.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 0
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 11
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 10
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25