Jan 17, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
At Summer League last year Gal Mekel like a guy with potential — he had a good basketball IQ, the recent MVP of the Israeli league just needed to see how to fit his game into the NBA. And he had done that in flashes recently, such as his seven assists Monday night against Orlando.
But now he’s going to be out for a while — the Mavericks’ rookie had surgery on a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee for on Friday and will be out indefinitely, the team announced.
If you’re looking for a rough timetable, lateral meniscus tears usually mean six to eight weeks.
This isn’t a big blow to the Mavs, who use Mekel sparingly. Hopefully he can return to the team later this season and continue his development. There is potential in him.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21