Jan 17, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
At Summer League last year Gal Mekel like a guy with potential — he had a good basketball IQ, the recent MVP of the Israeli league just needed to see how to fit his game into the NBA. And he had done that in flashes recently, such as his seven assists Monday night against Orlando.
But now he’s going to be out for a while — the Mavericks’ rookie had surgery on a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee for on Friday and will be out indefinitely, the team announced.
If you’re looking for a rough timetable, lateral meniscus tears usually mean six to eight weeks.
This isn’t a big blow to the Mavs, who use Mekel sparingly. Hopefully he can return to the team later this season and continue his development. There is potential in him.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13