Jan 17, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
At Summer League last year Gal Mekel like a guy with potential — he had a good basketball IQ, the recent MVP of the Israeli league just needed to see how to fit his game into the NBA. And he had done that in flashes recently, such as his seven assists Monday night against Orlando.
But now he’s going to be out for a while — the Mavericks’ rookie had surgery on a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee for on Friday and will be out indefinitely, the team announced.
If you’re looking for a rough timetable, lateral meniscus tears usually mean six to eight weeks.
This isn’t a big blow to the Mavs, who use Mekel sparingly. Hopefully he can return to the team later this season and continue his development. There is potential in him.
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 0
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 3
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 1
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 25