Jan 17, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
At Summer League last year Gal Mekel like a guy with potential — he had a good basketball IQ, the recent MVP of the Israeli league just needed to see how to fit his game into the NBA. And he had done that in flashes recently, such as his seven assists Monday night against Orlando.
But now he’s going to be out for a while — the Mavericks’ rookie had surgery on a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee for on Friday and will be out indefinitely, the team announced.
If you’re looking for a rough timetable, lateral meniscus tears usually mean six to eight weeks.
This isn’t a big blow to the Mavs, who use Mekel sparingly. Hopefully he can return to the team later this season and continue his development. There is potential in him.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15