Jan 17, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
At Summer League last year Gal Mekel like a guy with potential — he had a good basketball IQ, the recent MVP of the Israeli league just needed to see how to fit his game into the NBA. And he had done that in flashes recently, such as his seven assists Monday night against Orlando.
But now he’s going to be out for a while — the Mavericks’ rookie had surgery on a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee for on Friday and will be out indefinitely, the team announced.
If you’re looking for a rough timetable, lateral meniscus tears usually mean six to eight weeks.
This isn’t a big blow to the Mavs, who use Mekel sparingly. Hopefully he can return to the team later this season and continue his development. There is potential in him.
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 0
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 3
- Pacers’ troubles continue as Hawks convincingly win Game 1 31
- Warriors take Game 1 from Clippers 26
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 36