Jan 17, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Victor Oladipo is a lot of fun.
Everywhere he’s gone, his teammates love playing with him, and it’s easy to see why. He’s an explosive athlete who plays with a ton of passion – an awesome combination.
The Orlando Magic are 10-29 as we reach the time of year when bad teams fall into ruts. It can get miserable playing out the rest of the season when you know the playoffs are virtually impossible.
But Oladipo is still providing joy, even to a veteran teammate who once helped the Magic reach heights he surely knows this edition has no chance of even nearing.
“One thing about Vic: He’s faster than a hiccup, man!” Nelson said after the game. “Did you see how fast he gets to that basket? When you blink, he’s gone. He just takes advantage of the seams, and he’s doing a better job of recognizing what’s going on, how teams are playing him. He made some good shots and some good plays for us tonight.
“He has to stay in attack mode, whether it’s for himself or for the rest of the team. We believe in him. He’s a guy [for whom] we put the ball in his hands a lot. He’s going to have his growing pains, just like anybody else. But that’s what it’s about. It’s about us, when he does have those growing pains, picking him up and not getting discouraged.”
That’s quite the simile and definitely one I’ll put in my back pocket. But former Negro League player/manager Buck O’Neil still has my all-time favorite description of a speedy player. Joe Posnanski:
I think of Buck O’Neil and what he used to say whenever someone would ask him: How fast WAS Cool Papa Bell anyway? Buck would smile and say: “Faster than that.”
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15