Jan 16, 2014, 8:08 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• This is just sad, he had potential — former NBA player Javaris Crittenton is back in jail. While out on bail awaiting his murder trial he got picked up on drug charges. You may remember Crittenton as the other guy at the heart of (and suspended for a season) in the Gilbert Arenas gun in the locker room incident.
• When the Heat were at the White House, LeBron James paid tribute to his mother, speaking to NBC’s Today show: “”She gave me strength to a point where I never even had to think about that, and I have no idea where she got it from. To this day I still won’t even ask her, but she’s definitely the champion.”
• The Heat were in Washington to play the Wizards — and Washington won handily. After the game, LeBron heaped praise on the Wizards. As you might expect.
• Great story: Nuggets coach Brian Shaw has his team over to his off-season home in Oakland for an afternoon barbecue while the team is in town to face the Warriors. After everyone had left on the team bus and the event was over Shaw did one last check around the house before locking up, and found Evan Fournier asleep on the back deck — he almost got locked out there for the night to face Shaw’s guard dogs.
• A middle school boy in Florida shaved a Heat logo into his head, his school counselor shaved it off. Now, if he had shaved it off because that was a 1989 thing I would understand…
• This is a week old but still worth the read: At SB Nation Paul Flannery did a fantastic piece on the rise of the Pacers.
• The Miami Heat are on pace to be the best shooting team in NBA history this season.
• Eddie Matta sat down with Knicks legend John Starks for a fun interview.
• Finally, here is a high school alley-oop that shatters the backboard.
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 0
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 17
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 6
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 31
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 31