Nick Young suspended one game for throwing punch at Goran Dragic

Jan 16, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT

Nick Young has been suspended one game without pay for throwing a punch at Goran Dragic during Wednesday night’s game against the Suns, the league announced via official release.

Alex Len, who was ejected for his flagrant-two foul against Young, has been fined $15,000, and Marcus Morris has been fined $25,000 for escalating the altercation.

Young said afterward he believed it was “one against five,” and felt like if his teammates had come to his defense, the incident wouldn’t have ended up with him throwing punches — which, of course, is complete nonsense.

Young will serve his suspension on Friday, Jan. 17 when the Lakers are in Boston to face the Celtics.

1. pbtunpaidwriter - Jan 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Swaggy won’t be smiling for once…

• fanofevilempire - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Where was the other 4 lakers who was on the court, I saw Kelly get push out.
      Those guys were straight punks, they didn’t have to fight but at least come over
      and bark for ya boy.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM

YOU’RE SO RIGHT!!!!!!!!! ALL OF THEM ARE MARKED OUT!!!!!!

• ranfan12 - Jan 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Trying not to get injured and have a 5 man roster lol

2. phx1311 - Jan 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Alex len blocked his dunk attempt and he got mad. Boo Hoo

• eureca323 - Jan 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

LOL watch that again he doesn’t come close to the ball. Its clear on the replay around the 50 second mark in the above video Len comes down hard with both hands on Nick’s face. Obviously a dangerous foul with the guy in the air like that. Don’t let the biased Suns announcers fool you. The guy saying it wasn’t even a hard foul is an idiot.

• apkyletexas - Jan 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Yeah, but the Phoenix announcer did have one good point – “if you are going in to try to posterize somebody, what do you expect?”

It’s still a flagrant foul, but Young might have picked someone a little smaller than Alex Len to try to posterize. Alex is listed as 7′ 1″, 255 pounds, but he looks a little heaver than that to me – he’s probably putting on some weight as he gets a little older. That was probably his pre-draft weight back in April or something.

If I’m Alex Len’s coach, I’m telling him nobody gets a free dunk over you. Even if he gets tossed from a couple games a year, guys have to learn the hard way not to try to do it.

• skids003 - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM

He acted all tough as soon as someone got between him and Len. He’s a punk.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 16, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I can see if you find fault in Swaggy’s actions… just let it go… but come on… even the most biased Suns fan… there was zero play on the ball at all.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Sun’s in the Sun’s fans eyes.

• muhangis - Jan 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM

couldn’t be more off on that blind comment.

3. boston444 - Jan 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

He blocked his dunk? Are you delusional? He smacked him in the face

4. knicksmets - Jan 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Can’t really fault him for the punch. Was a pretty dirty play and he was ganged up on by Sun players. Dragic isn’t really the nicest player. Would be less explainable if the play was more legal or if he was being pulled back by his teammates. Just in the heat of the moment.

• strictlythedanks - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM

you cant fault him for the punch?

really?

5. lalifer - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM

The Lakers don’t help each other on defense so it stands to follow they wouldn’t help Nick when he was defending himself. Our world without Metta. I am already down watching every game of this miserable Laker season. But now I’m down and disheartened. No way you leave your teammate hanging like that. No way. At no level in any sport.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I was LOVING this years team, all losses included, vs. last years disappointment. I feel like they are overachieving (before the current losing streak). I WAS having fun with this squad….was. After last night, seeing the true colors of the other 4 guys on the court, I don’t know if I want to even go out of my way to watch another game (I will, inevitably though. I’m too diehard. My emotions are at an all-time high).

Package Ryan Kelly, Kendall Marshall, Caveman and Meeks in a deal for tickets to a freaking Ke$ha concert (is she still “hot”??)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Last night was an embarrassment. Not cause of the loss. Not the shellacking the Clips put upon us a few nights back. Last night.

Our players (the ones on the court) showed their TRUE colors. No heart. Sissified. I am in DEEP pain to have to come to this conclusion. I still love most the players I have on my roster but Ryan Kelly, Kendall Marshall (pains me to no end to type that), Chris Kaveman, and even Jodie Meeks are marked out. Just how concerned are these sissies are over their one year contracts? I would never employ a player that would let a fellow teammate get swarmed the way P did last night.

You think Kevin Garnett (I hate him btw) would have played the background!!?? I wish Kobe and/or Pau were in there. LA MISSES YOU MWP!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM

C’mon PBT, don’t block my comment^! Let me express my anger! I said nothing blockable.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

You need a …malt liquor.

8. dinofrank60 - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Do the Suns allow their broadcasters to drink on the air?

First, Eddie Johnson said it wasn’t that hard of a foul (??)

Then Johnson said that Young should’ve expected it, because he tried to posterize Lin. (What?) Young may have not have been able to dunk the ball from where he took off.

Then Johnson notes that all Lin did is grab Young’s shoulder. (Really?)
    A: The face
    Q: What part of the shoulder contains the eyes, nose and mouth?

Then he said that Young didn’t fall hard, because if he fell hard, he would be hurt. (???) A fall… on hardwood…that gives when you jump, not when you fall.
    Thank you , Dr.Johnson!

Finally, Ed admits it was a hard foul. Note this; this clip started with Morris dunking on a similar play against Ryan Kelly. What do you think if Johnson would say if Kelly had hit Morris like that?

I hope it was the good stuff…

9. smcgaels1997 - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Out of that whole scrum he picks the little white guy to punch … Real man we got here

• shanelsweet - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Do you realize how racist your comments reads? Does it always have to be about black and white with you folks?

• jimeejohnson - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Not just a racist: a pea brain!

10. billtetley53 - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Don’t worry 00malt, they probably saved you from embarassing yourself….AGAIN!

• jimeejohnson - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Other way around.

11. 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM

STOP BLOCKING ME!!!!!!

12. strictlythedanks - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Dragic really absorbed that.

That being said this has nothing on the NHL, and I mean nothing.

13. jerdogthompson - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Wow, guess my comments are too hard hitting and intellectual to publish. Oh well, keep on censoring, things will only get better from here.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Funny: I can call that pea brain CantonBound a pea brain.

14. big64d - Jan 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Three rules of NBA fight club is…. back step look tough, back step look tough, back step wait for back up. I thought these guys are from the hood not a dance troop!!! The thuggish ruggish bone!!!

• jimeejohnson - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Watch Kermit Washington step away from Rudy Tomjanovich.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches