Jan 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
In two weeks, David Stern will step down as commissioner of the NBA after 30 years on the job, handing the reins over to Adam Silver.
Before Stern goes, Dallas Mavericks owner wants one last fine from David Stern. For old time’s sake.
That’s what Cuban has said, as reported by ESPNDallas.com. Stern isn’t so sure.
“We talk about it all the time,” Cuban said. “I’m going to have one final fine before he leaves.”
Reached Thursday in London, where he is attending the Brooklyn Nets-Atlanta Hawks game at the O2 Arena, Stern said of Cuban’s plan to get fined: “I know he is trying, but our muffin fund coffers are overflowing.”
For the record, Cuban has been fined 19 times for a total of $1.8 million in the 14 years he’s been an NBA owner, and the ESPN story reports 13 of those are for criticizing officiating.
Cuban may have gotten what he wanted on Wednesday night. His Dallas Mavericks lost to the Clippers 129-127 in a wild game, but the winning margin was a poor foul call — the Clippers’ Jamal Crawford drove the lane, went up, Shawn Marion of the Mavs stripped the ball clean with no body contact, but the foul was called. (Go ahead, note the Mavs have won not one but two games on bad calls this season if you wish.)
Cuban walked out on the court after the game to complain to the officials. The league usually reviews these things.
For old time sake, let’s hope Stern fines him for it.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13