Jan 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
In two weeks, David Stern will step down as commissioner of the NBA after 30 years on the job, handing the reins over to Adam Silver.
Before Stern goes, Dallas Mavericks owner wants one last fine from David Stern. For old time’s sake.
That’s what Cuban has said, as reported by ESPNDallas.com. Stern isn’t so sure.
“We talk about it all the time,” Cuban said. “I’m going to have one final fine before he leaves.”
Reached Thursday in London, where he is attending the Brooklyn Nets-Atlanta Hawks game at the O2 Arena, Stern said of Cuban’s plan to get fined: “I know he is trying, but our muffin fund coffers are overflowing.”
For the record, Cuban has been fined 19 times for a total of $1.8 million in the 14 years he’s been an NBA owner, and the ESPN story reports 13 of those are for criticizing officiating.
Cuban may have gotten what he wanted on Wednesday night. His Dallas Mavericks lost to the Clippers 129-127 in a wild game, but the winning margin was a poor foul call — the Clippers’ Jamal Crawford drove the lane, went up, Shawn Marion of the Mavs stripped the ball clean with no body contact, but the foul was called. (Go ahead, note the Mavs have won not one but two games on bad calls this season if you wish.)
Cuban walked out on the court after the game to complain to the officials. The league usually reviews these things.
For old time sake, let’s hope Stern fines him for it.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 67
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31