Magic’s Jameer Nelson fined $15,000 for doing “Sam Cassell Dance”

Jan 16, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT

Chicago at Orlando Getty Images

You can call it the “Sam Cassell Dance” (which is my preferred moniker). You can call it the “big balls dance.” You can call it the “Pedro Sorano Dance” from Major League II and you’d be right about the origin of it.

Whatever you call it, you can’t do it in the NBA.

Orlando’s Jameer Nelson did do it during the Magic’s 3OT loss to the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday night after he hit the game-tying shot with :11 left in regulation. So the league came down on him with a $15,000 fine for an “obscene gesture” on Thursday.

That’s in line with what the league always fines for the dance. I think Zach Lowe summed up my feelings on this fine well.

1. 407magic - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Every player in the all star game should do the dance during introductions. Give stern a final middle finger

2. skids003 - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM

So flopping is worse than something obscene?

• spthegr8 - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Flopping is Obscene!!!

• money2long - Jan 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM

flops can impact a game, thus possibly impacting the outcome.
      don’t just say ‘something obscene’
      be specific in this case, just as zach lowe was. it’s a silly dance that’s the focus.
      and so ask yourself what is worse in that thinking.
      a silly dance or duping an official for a call ?

3. fanofevilempire - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

If you don’t like watching what is going on you can change the channel.
    You have a choice so please stop whining already.
    I’m fed up with the refs and the foul shooting show so I cut down watching.

• skids003 - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I don’t watch it. I would think something obscene was worse than flopping, but I guess in this bizarre world it’s not.

BTW, tell them to quit fouling, then maybe it won’t be a free throw shooting contest.

4. fanofevilempire - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

wait a minute, Nelson got a $15,000.00 fine for a obscene gesture and
    JR Smith a $50,000.00 fine for untying shoelaces.

• spthegr8 - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM

@Fan
      They warned Jr & told him to stop. He didn’t listen. Like my old man always told me” hard head, make a soft A$$”!!!!

• 00maltliquor - Jan 17, 2014 at 3:17 AM

SP took it back on ‘em! Haven’t heard that old school phrase in a long time!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview