Jan 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
The Lakers’ Nick Young has a right to be pissed about the hard foul to the head from Alex Len of the Suns — Len should get a game suspension for that. But when Young bounced up he threw punches and that is going to get him in more trouble with the league than Len will see.
But what really ticked Young off was that there were no teammates in the picture, he told Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“What I’m mad about is it was 1-on-5, I felt like,” Young said. “If somebody [from the Lakers] would have got in the middle, everything wouldn’t have escalated that much.”
If you look at the footage, Lakers’ rookie Ryan Kelly kind of gets in there, but the Suns were around Young much faster after he bounced up — and when he bounced up Young didn’t hesitate.
However, in a sign of cracks starting to appear in the Lakers’ locker room (which is pretty much inevitable after all the losing) check out what Lakers mid-season pickup Kendall Marshall had to say after the game.
“I understand where Nick’s coming from, he did get fouled hard and it wasn’t a basketball play by any means but at the same time, we got to understand our numbers [of available players on the roster] and sometimes you just got to win some and lose some,” Marshall said. “I don’t know if that was the smartest play at the time…
“I think Nick kind of saw what he wanted to see at the time,” Marshall said. “Obviously, like I said, you got to understand we got seven guys so maybe at that point and time you just got to chill out.”
That’s not having your teammate’s back either.
Marshall isn’t wrong — the Lakers are woefully thin in the backcourt and now will be without Young for a game or three after the league issues suspensions — but that doesn’t make it the right thing to say. You have to have your teammates’ back after the incident, too.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32