Jan 15, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Rajon Rondo is returning soon, so the Boston Celtics must…
I guess they’ll have to move Keith Bogans to the inactive list, but that’s really the extent of it. Considering Bogans is excused from the team for personal reasons and rarely played prior to that, the move has no significance.
The Celtics don’t need to trade or waive anyone, because Rondo already occupies a roster spot. That’s just how the NBA works.
But they might make a move, anyway.
Longtime NBA writer and longtime NBA rumormonger Peter Vecsey:
If you’re looking to determine the reliability of that tweet – always a necessary task with Vecesey, who sometimes breaks news and sometimes spreads nonsense – here’s a follow-up tweet.
I get the part about it being impossible to name every interested team. But impossible to be correct about the teams he named? OK.
Besides his own tweet undermining his credibility, Vecsey’s initial claim contradicts an agreement made in the aftermath of the Doc Rivers-to-the-Celtics saga. The reliable Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:
Vecsey not being aware of the Rivers agreement – which, possibly, could have been overturned since – doesn’t mean the rest of the initial report is inaccurate. But it does raise doubts.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Despite all that, trading Crawford, whose rookie-scale contract expires after the season, makes some sense for the Celtics.
Crawford is having his best season, significantly raising his assist rate and lowering his turnover rate while playing a lot of lead guard in Boston. He really rises to the occasion when pressed into a larger role, as he did when starting for the Wizards last season.
But his focus wanes in smaller roles, the type of role he’d occupy for a quality team that would acquire him by giving up a future asset to the rebuilding Celtics.
Maybe Boston could get a second rounder for him – if he’s actually close to being traded.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15