Jan 15, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Rajon Rondo is returning soon, so the Boston Celtics must…
I guess they’ll have to move Keith Bogans to the inactive list, but that’s really the extent of it. Considering Bogans is excused from the team for personal reasons and rarely played prior to that, the move has no significance.
The Celtics don’t need to trade or waive anyone, because Rondo already occupies a roster spot. That’s just how the NBA works.
But they might make a move, anyway.
Longtime NBA writer and longtime NBA rumormonger Peter Vecsey:
If you’re looking to determine the reliability of that tweet – always a necessary task with Vecesey, who sometimes breaks news and sometimes spreads nonsense – here’s a follow-up tweet.
I get the part about it being impossible to name every interested team. But impossible to be correct about the teams he named? OK.
Besides his own tweet undermining his credibility, Vecsey’s initial claim contradicts an agreement made in the aftermath of the Doc Rivers-to-the-Celtics saga. The reliable Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:
Vecsey not being aware of the Rivers agreement – which, possibly, could have been overturned since – doesn’t mean the rest of the initial report is inaccurate. But it does raise doubts.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Despite all that, trading Crawford, whose rookie-scale contract expires after the season, makes some sense for the Celtics.
Crawford is having his best season, significantly raising his assist rate and lowering his turnover rate while playing a lot of lead guard in Boston. He really rises to the occasion when pressed into a larger role, as he did when starting for the Wizards last season.
But his focus wanes in smaller roles, the type of role he’d occupy for a quality team that would acquire him by giving up a future asset to the rebuilding Celtics.
Maybe Boston could get a second rounder for him – if he’s actually close to being traded.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 17
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 30
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85