Jan 15, 2014, 12:33 AM EST
You might have had an idea this was coming after Doc Rivers said Monday night “we’re looking at him strong,” but now it looks like it is set to happen Wednesday.
The Los Angeles Clippers are going to sign free agent Hedo Turkoglu for the rest of the season.
That’s according to multiple reports, starting with very well respected Turkish basketball writer Ismail Senol and backed up by ESPN’s Marc Stein.
The question is can Turkoglu really provide that?
He reportedly impressed the Clippers during recent workouts, which is nice but he is going to have to play a lot better than he has in recent seasons. Last season played in 11 games for Orlando and was 2-of-33 shooting outside 10 feet. Remember he got suspended 20 games for testing positive for steroids, then cam back out of shape and uninspired. Oh, and don’t forget he has long been a terrible defender.
To sum up his situation, Orlando paid him $6 million (his salary for the first half of the season) just to stay away from the team.
He’s 34 now, but a few years back he was a versatile offensive weapon, a guy who was dangerous as a stretch four or with the ball in his hands creating off the pick-and-roll (he was huge doing that in the 2009 playoffs helping lead the Magic to the Finals).
If he can regain anything near that form he’d be a boost to the Clippers off the bench. I’m not sold he can be that guy, but Doc Rivers and the Clippers apparently are.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 2
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8