Jan 15, 2014, 12:33 AM EDT
You might have had an idea this was coming after Doc Rivers said Monday night “we’re looking at him strong,” but now it looks like it is set to happen Wednesday.
The Los Angeles Clippers are going to sign free agent Hedo Turkoglu for the rest of the season.
That’s according to multiple reports, starting with very well respected Turkish basketball writer Ismail Senol and backed up by ESPN’s Marc Stein.
Hidayet Türkoğlu is in LA. Pending a physical, he will sign a contract with Clippers until the end of this season.—
Ismail Senol (@ismailsenol) January 15, 2014
The question is can Turkoglu really provide that?
He reportedly impressed the Clippers during recent workouts, which is nice but he is going to have to play a lot better than he has in recent seasons. Last season played in 11 games for Orlando and was 2-of-33 shooting outside 10 feet. Remember he got suspended 20 games for testing positive for steroids, then cam back out of shape and uninspired. Oh, and don’t forget he has long been a terrible defender.
To sum up his situation, Orlando paid him $6 million (his salary for the first half of the season) just to stay away from the team.
He’s 34 now, but a few years back he was a versatile offensive weapon, a guy who was dangerous as a stretch four or with the ball in his hands creating off the pick-and-roll (he was huge doing that in the 2009 playoffs helping lead the Magic to the Finals).
If he can regain anything near that form he’d be a boost to the Clippers off the bench. I’m not sold he can be that guy, but Doc Rivers and the Clippers apparently are.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61