Lakers’ Nick Young ejected after taking exception to hard foul by Suns’ Alex Len (VIDEO)

Jan 15, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT

Nick Young didn’t take kindly to the hard foul he received from Alex Len in the second quarter of the Lakers’ matchup against the Suns on Wednesday, and immediately bounced up and started throwing punches.

Young got into it with Len and Goran Dragic before officials intervened and separated everyone, and Young and Len ended up being ejected for their actions.

In Len’s defense, he’s a rookie who hasn’t played much and is tasked with protecting the rim, and likely was just misguided in his attempt to stop Young in his chance at an easy basket.

Young overreacted here, obviously, despite the hard fall that he took following the contact from Len. To come up swinging doesn’t make much sense, and it’s likely to cost him both playing time and dollars in the form of a suspension from the league office.

1. peterjohnjoseph - Jan 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM

When Swaggy does that crazy arms thing like he’s coming at everyone (but not really going at anyone, hoping someone will hold him back…), all I can hear in my head is “Wacky waving inflatable air flailing tubeman! Wacky waving inflatable air flailing tubeman! “

• pbtunpaidwriter - Jan 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Swaggy P did overreact but I have to agree with him that none of his teammates had his back. I’d be mad too…

2. themagicfanguy - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I think it’s “Wacky Waving Inflatable Flailing-Arm Tube-Man!”. Still, pretty good comparison.

• peterjohnjoseph - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Yeah. I missed the mark on that one. I was saying it right in my head anyways.

Honestly though, the second time I watched the video his arms didn’t flail as much as I remembered watching it live. I remember them looking like dangling spaghetti with his elbows tucked at his sides, doing the sideways jump while praying someone held him back. It was still bad.. just not as wacky.

• peterjohnjoseph - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Wait, I just realized you wrote it wrong too. Its “Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube-Man”. See, Its much harder than it looks. Kind of like Swaggy P. Kids a pitbull. A well groomed, pitbull.

3. provguard - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM

When Nick Young is your best player, it is time call the coroner…

4. damaddwebba - Jan 15, 2014 at 11:54 PM

The kid didn’t even make a play on the ball, it was a cheap shot plain and simple. Shame on the entire Faker squad for leaving Swaggy P out there like that.

• phaden27 - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:36 AM

That’s garbage. Never give up the easy points if you can foul, and yes that means even if you don’t play on the ball. Worked well for the 80’s Pistons. I swear I get tired of watching this pussification basketball has become.

• mrp0po - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I agree that fouling to prevent the easy 2 points is a smart play. However when you take someone out mid-flight with no play on the ball, you better expect to fight that person because plays like that can injure someone. Nick Young is fortunate he didn’t land more awkwardly.

5. 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I lost all respect for Ryan Kelly tonight. Look at the video and watch him. What did it for me was his pathetic excuse during the post-game interview. He has no place on my team.

• limonadamas - Jan 16, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Missed it… what did he say?

• 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I was trying to get in but I didn’t want to get into too much trouble….

That sissy makes me sick. I’m still hot about it.

• limonadamas - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM

For real??? That’s… really…. I don’t even know what to say.

This is the kind of thing that can destroy a locker room. Would be surprised if he gets cut at some point. You can’t have that on the floor. Not saying he needs to escalate things like Stephen Jackson at the Malice in the Palace, but you can’t get worried about getting sent to the principal’s office. This is supposed to be a man’s league. =(

6. timb12 - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Young got more physical than a lot of guys in the league. Sad day when a push is considered physical by NBA standards. Len also made a cheap play and I thought Young’s reaction wasn’t too out of line.

7. dgbk - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM

What a joke Morris #15 I believe clearly pushes him twice but he swings at goran. It was a hard foul but don’t think it warranted that reaction. Why get up like Tough guy to seek some1 ur size who did nothing to u lol.

8. unfly - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Nick Young has fire in his belly, you need that on your team. Ryan Kelly on the other hand stood around while Nick got mobbed by those bum Morris twins and then repeatedly passed up open looks because he was scared to shoot. Frankly Shawne Williams was better, at least he had the cojones to shoot and mix it up if necessary.

9. sellahh - Jan 16, 2014 at 3:36 AM

Not a single word about Young getting hit in the face. Way to go!

10. davecotuit - Jan 16, 2014 at 5:46 AM

eat dog poo arrogant laker fans! how sweet it is— lakers second from the bottom in the western conference while clips come back from 17 down with 5 to go. wow!!

• asimonetti88 - Jan 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM

When you measure success by other team’s failures… well… you’re not having much success.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM

He’s a Clippers “fan” (circa 2012), what you expect. They made the playoffs 5x in 30 years, they need to have their jaws wired shut before they start yappin’, they still got decades more work they need to put in before they are even allowed to eat at the adult table.

11. billtetley53 - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Oh the horror! A professional basketball player lost the respect of some anonymous internet Turd!

Said Turd that doesn’t know anything about basketball history, or the game itself for that matter.

Why don’t you just take the route of most of your fellow lakers fans and disappear until the draft?
    I’m sorely disappointed in this team. Hopefully when KoMe comes back, he can lift this sad sack team right out of the lottery.
    I want this team bad for many years to come. The arrogant, ignorant fanbase deserves it.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Are you Ryan Kelly’s mom?

12. shuttaman1990 - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

so Alex len being a rookie warrants him giving Nick Young a cheap shot? lol ridiculous anti lakers bias yo
    Alex Len is a punk

13. jerdogthompson - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM

As an ardent non-laker fan I can say that swaggy got shafted on that.

@Brett

Shame on you for suggesting that because he is a rookie it’s an acceptable or understandable play. Look I’m all for physical play, however, when a player is extended in the air and you give him a head shot on accident or not that’s BS.

14. misremembered72 - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I would have liked a chance to throw a Swaggy push/punch at this stupid suns announcer… Len smacked Young in the face with both hands, not even near his arm. I’m not a Lakers fun but Id be mad too

15. trickybastard - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Nice work Young, you kept your rep…

16. billtetley53 - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

asimonetti: I’m not measuring success by other teams failures, my team does quite well for itself with multiple titles.

I just really enjoy the lakers being awful. You, as a fanbase deserve it.

I just may be Mrs. Kelly, what of it?

17. billtetley53 - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM

You see malt, that right there is why people live to hate the lakers. It has nothing to do with the team, titles or anything else but the arrogant attitude of the fanbase.
    That’s why there are haters. You’re insufferable attitudes are nauseating.

I want Kobe to come back and get you the 8 seed so badly. It will further delay the massive rebuild that is going to occur.

This fanbase deserves for this team to stink for about 15-20 years.

Please don’t point to the past for how they reload. Its a different era in the NBA and Dr. BUSS is dead as a doornail. Jim does not have what his Dad had and is playing under stricter financial rules.

The rest of the fanbases are loving that the lakers have stunk this year, even when they made the playoffs, they are 1-12 with 2 sweeps.
    Face it, the dominance died with Dr.BUSS. Good riddance.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches