Jan 15, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Greg Oden could play in an NBA Game tonight for the first time since Dec. 5, 2009.
The Miami Heat have activated Oden and he is in uniform as the Heat take on the Wizards in Washington, reports Tom Haberstoh of ESPN as well as other sources.
Whether he gets on the court or not remains to be seen, but the Heat are a little thin at the center spot. Well, they were already but now they are even thinner — Chris Andersen is out with a knee issue (according to Ethan Skolnick of Bleacher Report) and the Heat traded Joel Anthony to Boston in a salary dump earlier in the day. Anthony’s removal freed up a roster spot and Oden is in it.
Oden did play for the Heat in the preseason — four minutes in one game against the Pelicans. The first time he touched the ball he dunked it, but that was pretty much it. All season he has been on Miami’s inactive list.
Oden was the former No. 1 pick of the Portland Trail Blazers who saw injuries derail his career — he has had seven knee surgeries total, including three microfracture surgeries. Most people would have given up and moved on with their lives, Oden wanted to prove he could get back and has worked toward that goal for years.
Miami can afford to be patient with Oden as they don’t need him to win a lot of regular season games — the Heat do that already — it’s more about playoff matchups. Particularly the seemingly inevitable Eastern Conference Finals matchup against Roy Hibbert and the Indiana Pacers.
That matchup is why the Heat may still sign Andrew Bynum, but that’s’ a post for another time.
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 2
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54