Jan 15, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Greg Oden could play in an NBA Game tonight for the first time since Dec. 5, 2009.
The Miami Heat have activated Oden and he is in uniform as the Heat take on the Wizards in Washington, reports Tom Haberstoh of ESPN as well as other sources.
Whether he gets on the court or not remains to be seen, but the Heat are a little thin at the center spot. Well, they were already but now they are even thinner — Chris Andersen is out with a knee issue (according to Ethan Skolnick of Bleacher Report) and the Heat traded Joel Anthony to Boston in a salary dump earlier in the day. Anthony’s removal freed up a roster spot and Oden is in it.
Oden did play for the Heat in the preseason — four minutes in one game against the Pelicans. The first time he touched the ball he dunked it, but that was pretty much it. All season he has been on Miami’s inactive list.
Oden was the former No. 1 pick of the Portland Trail Blazers who saw injuries derail his career — he has had seven knee surgeries total, including three microfracture surgeries. Most people would have given up and moved on with their lives, Oden wanted to prove he could get back and has worked toward that goal for years.
Miami can afford to be patient with Oden as they don’t need him to win a lot of regular season games — the Heat do that already — it’s more about playoff matchups. Particularly the seemingly inevitable Eastern Conference Finals matchup against Roy Hibbert and the Indiana Pacers.
That matchup is why the Heat may still sign Andrew Bynum, but that’s’ a post for another time.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6