Jan 15, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
Greg Oden could play in an NBA Game tonight for the first time since Dec. 5, 2009.
The Miami Heat have activated Oden and he is in uniform as the Heat take on the Wizards in Washington, reports Tom Haberstoh of ESPN as well as other sources.
Whether he gets on the court or not remains to be seen, but the Heat are a little thin at the center spot. Well, they were already but now they are even thinner — Chris Andersen is out with a knee issue (according to Ethan Skolnick of Bleacher Report) and the Heat traded Joel Anthony to Boston in a salary dump earlier in the day. Anthony’s removal freed up a roster spot and Oden is in it.
Oden did play for the Heat in the preseason — four minutes in one game against the Pelicans. The first time he touched the ball he dunked it, but that was pretty much it. All season he has been on Miami’s inactive list.
Oden was the former No. 1 pick of the Portland Trail Blazers who saw injuries derail his career — he has had seven knee surgeries total, including three microfracture surgeries. Most people would have given up and moved on with their lives, Oden wanted to prove he could get back and has worked toward that goal for years.
Miami can afford to be patient with Oden as they don’t need him to win a lot of regular season games — the Heat do that already — it’s more about playoff matchups. Particularly the seemingly inevitable Eastern Conference Finals matchup against Roy Hibbert and the Indiana Pacers.
That matchup is why the Heat may still sign Andrew Bynum, but that’s’ a post for another time.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48