Jan 15, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Denver has been a roller coaster this season — lose eight in a row, win the next five, then get blown out by lowly Utah — and part of that is they miss the consistent scoring (and threat) that is Danilo Gallinari.
Last season he was averaging 16.2 points a game and spacing the floor from three, key parts of a hot Denver team that others feared heading toward the playoffs — until Gallinari tore his ACL in April.
Right now he is in Italy recovering and while he is physically feeling better the mental part remains a challenge, he told La Gazzetta dello Sport, as found and translated by Sportando.
“I got over the most boring part, by now. The muscle tone is back, in the gym I lift weights I never lifted before. I work with the ball and changes of direction. Let’s say I still have to work on the mental part, the most important one. Because it’s inevitable to think about my knee – Said Gallo, who added – I haven’t set a date for the comeback. It’s a decision we will take further on. Hypothesis to miss this season? Everything can happen. It’s an idea that passed through my mind. But then, maybe, I get back before”.
Sound familiar? Derrick Rose among others have talked about feeling physically better but struggling to get mentally confortable and trusting that knee again so they can get out and play. Fans sitting on their couches will mock this but it’s natural and it takes time.
How much time Gallinari will take remains unknown. The Nuggets could use him, as of Wednesday they are the West’s nine seed, two games out of the final playoff spot in the conference. If they are going to make a push Gallinari’s shooting would be a big boost.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48