Jan 15, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
There had been talk that the Boston Celtics would send Rajon Rondo to their D-League affiliate for a tune-up game, but that’s not what is happening here.
Rondo is just traveling a long way for a workout.
Boston officially assigned Rondo to the D-League’s Maine Red Claws on Wednesday but that is not likely to delay his expected return to the Celtics lineup Friday night against the Lakers, reports CSNNE.com.
The four-time All-Star will participate in a workout today with the Red Claws and will be called back up in plenty of time to make what’s expected to be his regular season debut against the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday.
“Rajon is progressing terrifically in his rehab and this is the next step,” said Danny Ainge, Celtics President of Basketball Operations. “This is a brief assignment so that Rajon can participate in a workout this afternoon with the Red Claws and he will be called back up to the Celtics upon the conclusion of the workout.”
Schedules don’t allow NBA teams to practice much — Boston hosts the Raptors Wednesday night and likely will not have a full practice before Friday’s game. There is more practice in the D-League so Rondo will get some run there.
Boston has lost nine in a row heading into Wednesday night and the return of Rajon Rondo may stop the short-term bleeding but likely will not alter the direction this Celtics season is heading — which is into the lottery in the year of a deep draft.
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 12
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 18
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2