Jan 14, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• That photo you see to the right (courtesy The Big Lead) is from a recent episode of Family Feud, where they surveyed the audience with the question “Who is the second best NBA player of all time?” This assumes that Michael Jordan is the best ever, which is the conventional wisdom but certainly up for debate, but we’ll let that part go. Shaq? When focused certainly he was one of the top centers the game has ever seen, he’s racked up rings and accolades, but second best ever? Kobe Bryant ahead of Magic Johnson? Well, it is the Family Feud audience, so as with any survey it really depends on the demographic you ask the question to… these are not hoop fans.
• Along those lines, often when this comes up I like to stick up for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar needing to be in the GOAT conversation and rarely getting mentioned. Maybe it was because he was not friendly to the press. Maybe it’s because we often picture him with the Showtime Lakers teams at the end of his career when he was good but not quite the same player. Maybe it’s because when he was at his peak he was in Milwaukee. Maybe it’s because he’s 7’2″ and fundamentally sound so the game looked easy for him, not like he spent countless hours in the gym to make it look that way. Anyway, the resume again is six NBA titles, six time MVP, two time Finals MVP, more points scored than anyone in the history of the NBA, most indefensible single shot in the history of the game, and 20 time NBA All-Star.
• A Celtics assistant coach is going to run in the Boston Marathon this year, which will be a powerful and emotional experience.
• A fantastic look by Zach Harper of what the Timberwolves have to do to win close games (they are 0-10 in games decided by 5 points or less).
• It costs more than you think to take care of Kobe’s bald head.
• Finally, from SB Nation a graphic look at how rough Anthony Bennett‘s rookie season has been, using PER as a measure.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32