Jan 14, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• That photo you see to the right (courtesy The Big Lead) is from a recent episode of Family Feud, where they surveyed the audience with the question “Who is the second best NBA player of all time?” This assumes that Michael Jordan is the best ever, which is the conventional wisdom but certainly up for debate, but we’ll let that part go. Shaq? When focused certainly he was one of the top centers the game has ever seen, he’s racked up rings and accolades, but second best ever? Kobe Bryant ahead of Magic Johnson? Well, it is the Family Feud audience, so as with any survey it really depends on the demographic you ask the question to… these are not hoop fans.
• Along those lines, often when this comes up I like to stick up for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar needing to be in the GOAT conversation and rarely getting mentioned. Maybe it was because he was not friendly to the press. Maybe it’s because we often picture him with the Showtime Lakers teams at the end of his career when he was good but not quite the same player. Maybe it’s because when he was at his peak he was in Milwaukee. Maybe it’s because he’s 7’2″ and fundamentally sound so the game looked easy for him, not like he spent countless hours in the gym to make it look that way. Anyway, the resume again is six NBA titles, six time MVP, two time Finals MVP, more points scored than anyone in the history of the NBA, most indefensible single shot in the history of the game, and 20 time NBA All-Star.
• A Celtics assistant coach is going to run in the Boston Marathon this year, which will be a powerful and emotional experience.
• A fantastic look by Zach Harper of what the Timberwolves have to do to win close games (they are 0-10 in games decided by 5 points or less).
• It costs more than you think to take care of Kobe’s bald head.
• Finally, from SB Nation a graphic look at how rough Anthony Bennett‘s rookie season has been, using PER as a measure.
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 0
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 25
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 17
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 13
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6