Jan 14, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
“With that, we should take a picture, but we should make it quick, before one of these guys starts yelling at Mario.”
—President Barack Obama, wrapping up the Miami Heat’s visit to the White House as NBA Champions, via Ethan Skolnik of Bleacher Report.
It’s an annual tradition to have the NBA champion visit the president, give him a jersey (or in this case a signed mock up of the Larry O’Brien trophy), shake hands and make a few jokes. This photo op always feels a little more personal with Obama, who is a basketball fan and had a number of the Heat players in his pick-up games around Washington.
Miami was back at the White House on Tuesday and Obama was cracking jokes to Ray Allen and others. Like the one above about how Heat players are always yelling at Mario Chalmers. Here are a few other lines from the president.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20