Jan 14, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
“With that, we should take a picture, but we should make it quick, before one of these guys starts yelling at Mario.”
—President Barack Obama, wrapping up the Miami Heat’s visit to the White House as NBA Champions, via Ethan Skolnik of Bleacher Report.
It’s an annual tradition to have the NBA champion visit the president, give him a jersey (or in this case a signed mock up of the Larry O’Brien trophy), shake hands and make a few jokes. This photo op always feels a little more personal with Obama, who is a basketball fan and had a number of the Heat players in his pick-up games around Washington.
Miami was back at the White House on Tuesday and Obama was cracking jokes to Ray Allen and others. Like the one above about how Heat players are always yelling at Mario Chalmers. Here are a few other lines from the president.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 4
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 36
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 29
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25