Jan 14, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
“With that, we should take a picture, but we should make it quick, before one of these guys starts yelling at Mario.”
—President Barack Obama, wrapping up the Miami Heat’s visit to the White House as NBA Champions, via Ethan Skolnik of Bleacher Report.
It’s an annual tradition to have the NBA champion visit the president, give him a jersey (or in this case a signed mock up of the Larry O’Brien trophy), shake hands and make a few jokes. This photo op always feels a little more personal with Obama, who is a basketball fan and had a number of the Heat players in his pick-up games around Washington.
Miami was back at the White House on Tuesday and Obama was cracking jokes to Ray Allen and others. Like the one above about how Heat players are always yelling at Mario Chalmers. Here are a few other lines from the president.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2