Jan 14, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
“With that, we should take a picture, but we should make it quick, before one of these guys starts yelling at Mario.”
—President Barack Obama, wrapping up the Miami Heat’s visit to the White House as NBA Champions, via Ethan Skolnik of Bleacher Report.
It’s an annual tradition to have the NBA champion visit the president, give him a jersey (or in this case a signed mock up of the Larry O’Brien trophy), shake hands and make a few jokes. This photo op always feels a little more personal with Obama, who is a basketball fan and had a number of the Heat players in his pick-up games around Washington.
Miami was back at the White House on Tuesday and Obama was cracking jokes to Ray Allen and others. Like the one above about how Heat players are always yelling at Mario Chalmers. Here are a few other lines from the president.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 11
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14