Jan 14, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
“With that, we should take a picture, but we should make it quick, before one of these guys starts yelling at Mario.”
—President Barack Obama, wrapping up the Miami Heat’s visit to the White House as NBA Champions, via Ethan Skolnik of Bleacher Report.
It’s an annual tradition to have the NBA champion visit the president, give him a jersey (or in this case a signed mock up of the Larry O’Brien trophy), shake hands and make a few jokes. This photo op always feels a little more personal with Obama, who is a basketball fan and had a number of the Heat players in his pick-up games around Washington.
Miami was back at the White House on Tuesday and Obama was cracking jokes to Ray Allen and others. Like the one above about how Heat players are always yelling at Mario Chalmers. Here are a few other lines from the president.
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 0
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 6
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 3
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 44
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33