Jan 14, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Well, it could have been worse, and usually this season when a Laker gets injured it seems like “worse” is the default.
Pau Gasol had an MRI on his sore left foot and it came back with a “moderate strain of the flexor tendon of the big toe of his left foot” the team announced. That makes him a game-time decision Tuesday night.
With Kobe Bryant and seemingly everyone else out injured more has been asked of Gasol from the Lakers — in their last five games he has played 34.4 minutes a night, averaging 18.8 points (on 46.9 percent shooting) and he’s gotten 12 rebounds a game. This season Gasol has not played like his peak self of a few years back, but he has played pretty well and if he’s out the Lakers don’t have guys who can score as consistently from the post or elbow as he can. The Lakers don’t need to lose another scoring option.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
On another Lakers injury note, Xavier Henry was back working out, will travel with the team when they leave on the 12-day Grammy road trip, and is expected to be cleared to play later this week, baring any setbacks.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 0
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 5
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 9
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 54
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14