Jan 14, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
Well, it could have been worse, and usually this season when a Laker gets injured it seems like “worse” is the default.
Pau Gasol had an MRI on his sore left foot and it came back with a “moderate strain of the flexor tendon of the big toe of his left foot” the team announced. That makes him a game-time decision Tuesday night.
With Kobe Bryant and seemingly everyone else out injured more has been asked of Gasol from the Lakers — in their last five games he has played 34.4 minutes a night, averaging 18.8 points (on 46.9 percent shooting) and he’s gotten 12 rebounds a game. This season Gasol has not played like his peak self of a few years back, but he has played pretty well and if he’s out the Lakers don’t have guys who can score as consistently from the post or elbow as he can. The Lakers don’t need to lose another scoring option.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
On another Lakers injury note, Xavier Henry was back working out, will travel with the team when they leave on the 12-day Grammy road trip, and is expected to be cleared to play later this week, baring any setbacks.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 1
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 9
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6