Jan 14, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
Marc Gasol, the defensive anchor for the Memphis Grizzlies and the fulcrum of their offense out of the elbow, will return to the team’s starting lineup Tuesday night against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Gasol had been out since late November with a sprained MCL in his knee. No surgery was required, it was just a matter of time and rest. Gasol returned to practice this week and felt good enough after the one practice he went through to decide to play Tuesday.
Gasol averaged 16 points and 7.1 assists a game before the injury. He is also last season’s NBA Defensive Player of the Year and key to Memphis on that end. Not that Memphis was off to a hot start with him, they were 7-6 to open the season but have gone 10-13 since.
That record leaves Memphis as the 11 seed in the West, 3.5 games out of the playoffs. That’s a lot of work for Gasol and team to do to get back in the mix during the second half of the season — if 47 wins is what you need to make the playoffs in the West (the current pace) Memphis must go 30-16 the rest of the way to make the cut.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23