Kevin Durant wants to shoot less with Westbrook out, needs help from teammates

Jan 14, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

It’s not that Kevin Durant wants to shoot more with Russell Westbrook out, it’s that he doesn’t have much of a choice if the Thunder want to score a lot of points (and they do, that remains kind of an important thing in basketball).

In the nine games since Westbrook went out with another knee injury Durant is scoring 34.2 points a game (up from 29.6 on the season), is taking 22.1 shots a game (19.2), 6.9 from three (5.1), and has a true shooting percentage of 62.2 percent (62.7).

He’s taking on more of the offense — his usage percentage is 34.2 percent in the last nine, up from 31.1 for the season — as we all expected he would.

But that’s not how Durant wants it to be — he wants to be more of a facilitator. That’s what he told Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman.

“I’m not doing enough to help them,” Durant said of his teammates. “I’m shooting too much. I’m shooting too many 3s. I’m not helping them out at all. So it’s not on them.”

“The first few games without Russell, we did a great job moving the ball,” Durant said. “I think now I’m just flat out shooting too much. I have to find a way to get my teammates easier shots. I’ve been thinking these last few games in order for us to get it going I have to do it all offensively. But, nah, we have to do it together. It’s a great learning experience for me. It’s the first time I’ve really been in that type of position. But I just have to get everybody involved. I may have to pass up a few to find a better shot.”

The problem to me isn’t all Durant — passing the ball is only half of an assist, the other half is the guy knocking down the shot.

In the nine games without Westbrook Jeremy Lamb is shooting 41.8 percent, Kendrick Perkins 40.5 percent, Reggie Jackson 40.4 percent, Thabo Sefolosha 38.7 percent and Derek Fisher 37 percent.

We saw this before with Kobe Bryant — when he had teammates not hitting shots he took on more of the offense because he knew he would make them. The difference is Kobe has no guilt over that, Durant does.

He will be on the court Tuesday despite a sore wrist, and expect him to try to be more of a facilitator. We’ll see if his teammates are up to that challenge.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Austin Toros v Texas Legends Austin Toros v Texas Legends

Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon

2. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

3. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

4. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

5. Flip Saunders: Kevin Garnett will start for Timberwolves

Jul 30, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett AP

Will Karl-Anthony Towns, Nikola Pekovic or Gorgui Dieng start beside him?

6. Flip Saunders still maintains he planned to keep Kevin Love until Andrew Wiggins offer

Jul 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Lottery Getty Images

Timberwolves apparently weren’t just going to trade Love for whatever they could get

7. Mark Cuban: NBA would have punished Tom Brady more harshly than Roger Goodell did

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Mark Cuban Mark Cuban

Suspending Patriots quarterback for a quarter of the season was bare minimum for Mavericks owner

8. Report: Team USA uncertain whether Dwight Howard, John Wall will attend minicamp

Jul 30, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT

Dwight Howard, John Wall AP

Jerry Colangelo said attendance was mandatory to be considered for 2016 Olympic team

9. Adam Silver: NBA on track to play regular-season games in Africa

Jul 30, 2015, 11:22 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwm0ndlhnjzlyjziyjk4otqxymqym2y5yzrintq4yjm1 AP

NBA commissioner confident Africa will get a preseason game

10. Thabo Sefolosha: Too soon to say when I’ll play again

Jul 30, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT

Thabo Sefolosha AP

Hawks wing says his leg and ankle feel better

11. 76ers sign Richaun Holmes

Jul 30, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers: Richaun Holmes Portrait Getty Images

Philadelphia drafted Holmes in second round

12. Matt Barnes ready to “foul the beep” out of DeAndre Jordan when Grizzlies, Clippers meet

Jul 30, 2015, 8:33 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthkoty3ytfmn2fjnjvlyjeyytc0mwvlngi0nwqyzmjh AP

Barnes is a perfect fit in for the “grit and grind” style of the Grizzlies.

13. Wesley Matthews says Trail Blazers never made him an offer, “I was pissed off”

Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Three Getty Images

Portland not making a call means they knew Aldridge was gone and it was time to rebuild.

14. Report: Rockets sign Chuck Hayes to one-year deal

Jul 30, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

The Rockets have nice depth up front.

15. Anthony Davis excited to get running in Alvin Gentry’s offense

Jul 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New Orleans Pelicans - Game Four Getty Images

The Pelicans were one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA last season, that’s about to change.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches