Kevin Durant wants to shoot less with Westbrook out, needs help from teammates

Jan 14, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

It’s not that Kevin Durant wants to shoot more with Russell Westbrook out, it’s that he doesn’t have much of a choice if the Thunder want to score a lot of points (and they do, that remains kind of an important thing in basketball).

In the nine games since Westbrook went out with another knee injury Durant is scoring 34.2 points a game (up from 29.6 on the season), is taking 22.1 shots a game (19.2), 6.9 from three (5.1), and has a true shooting percentage of 62.2 percent (62.7).

He’s taking on more of the offense — his usage percentage is 34.2 percent in the last nine, up from 31.1 for the season — as we all expected he would.

But that’s not how Durant wants it to be — he wants to be more of a facilitator. That’s what he told Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman.

“I’m not doing enough to help them,” Durant said of his teammates. “I’m shooting too much. I’m shooting too many 3s. I’m not helping them out at all. So it’s not on them.”

“The first few games without Russell, we did a great job moving the ball,” Durant said. “I think now I’m just flat out shooting too much. I have to find a way to get my teammates easier shots. I’ve been thinking these last few games in order for us to get it going I have to do it all offensively. But, nah, we have to do it together. It’s a great learning experience for me. It’s the first time I’ve really been in that type of position. But I just have to get everybody involved. I may have to pass up a few to find a better shot.”

The problem to me isn’t all Durant — passing the ball is only half of an assist, the other half is the guy knocking down the shot.

In the nine games without Westbrook Jeremy Lamb is shooting 41.8 percent, Kendrick Perkins 40.5 percent, Reggie Jackson 40.4 percent, Thabo Sefolosha 38.7 percent and Derek Fisher 37 percent.

We saw this before with Kobe Bryant — when he had teammates not hitting shots he took on more of the offense because he knew he would make them. The difference is Kobe has no guilt over that, Durant does.

He will be on the court Tuesday despite a sore wrist, and expect him to try to be more of a facilitator. We’ll see if his teammates are up to that challenge.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

Can Michael Carter-Williams slow Derrick Rose?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches