Jan 13, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
However we shouldn’t leave Klay Thompson off the list.
When you start to look at the Sports VU camera data from the NBA — the cameras in every arena that track every movement a player makes, then the six cameras provide that data to a computer, which details everything that happens on the court — the numbers paint an interesting picture of Thompson.
• Thompson gets 9 catch-and-shoot points per game, tied with Ryan Anderson for the most in the NBA. He gets 7.3 catch-and-shoot opportunities a game, 5.5 of those are from three, and Thompson has an impressive eFG% of 61.8 percent on those chances. That percentage puts him ahead of some very good catch-and-shoot guys such as Joe Johnson, Kevin Martin, Bradley Beal and a host of others (the highest eFG% on catch-and-shoots of guys getting more than four a game is, not surprisingly, Kyle Korver at 73.6%).
• Thompson is averaging 0.46 points per time he touches the ball, the fourth best in the NBA. For the record, he touches the ball about 41.7 times per game.
• Thompson has covered more ground running than any NBA player, 100.8 miles this season. Thompson covers an average of 2.7 miles per game, again most in the NBA.
• By the way, he moves at an average of 4.2 miles per hour while running around, which is pretty average (Patty Mills of the Spurs moves the fastest at 4.8).
Those number pretty much confirm what we already knew about Thompson — that he moves off the ball, works hard to get open, and when you feed him the rock he’s likely to shoot it and likely to make it.
Combine that with Stephen Curry and you have one interesting — and dangerous — backcourt. They may be jump shooters but that’s fine if they go in, and for this team they go in a lot.
Kings 124, Cavaliers 80: Here’s the real story out of this game — Isaiah Thomas completely outplayed Kyrie Irving. Thomas finished with 26 points while Irving had 7 on 3-of-14 shooting (with Thomas and Ben McLemore primarily on him. Well, that’s the story plus Sacramento won this going away. Cleveland did have an early 7-0 lead, and C.J. Miles hit an amazing three at the end of the first quarter, but that’s about when things fall apart. With Jimmer Fredette off the bench scoring 8 to spark it, the Kings went on a 19-4 run early in the second and that’s pretty much it, Sacramento ran away with it. Rudy Gay had 20 points on 12 shots, and DeMarcus Cousins was too much for anyone on the Cavs in the paint.
Grizzlies 108, Hawks 101: Atlanta had gone on a 16-0 run from the end of the third into the early fourth and had taken a three point lead, then Mike Conley happened. He either scored assisted on 23 of the next Grizzlies 25 points to get Memphis the win. Atlanta had played pretty good defense the past week or so, but the Memphis Grizzlies knocked down shots — 51.8 percent overall and 6-of-15 from three — and make the Hawks pay. Mike Miller came in and hit 6-of-8 on his way to 15 points, and Conley was crossing up Shelvin Mack on his way to 21.
Spurs 104, Timberwolves 86: And still the Timberwolves cannot get over .500. The Spurs execution is just relentless and while this game was even for the first half Tim Duncan put up 11 of his 15 in the third quarter as the Spurs pulled away for the win. Tony Parker added 14 points and 10 dimes. Nikola Pekovic led the Timberwolves on the night (he was covered by Duncan much of the night, the Spurs do miss Tiago Splitter).
Jul 31, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
A LeBron James-Kevin Love combo seems increasingly inevitable
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
“His unique skill set makes him one of the best players in the game today.” —Pat Riley on Chris Bosh, who still is overpaid.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Pat Riley got beat in free agency, and he doesn’t take losing well.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Scott, not Mike Brown, would have followed Phil Jackson
Jul 30, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
“He’s playing out of his mind. He’s being Derrick Rose.” —Anthony Davis on Rose.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
NBA reportedly wanted Bavetta to retire four years ago
Jul 30, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
The elicits a shrug of the shoulders. Not much else.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT
Thunder star texted Davis after winning the award last season: ‘You on your way to get it’
Tony Parker says skipping FIBA World Championships this summer was a way for him to ‘give back to the Spurs’
Jul 30, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Parker has played 91 extra games since his last summer break three seasons ago.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
“Guys that don’t have a reputation for playing hard defense are picking up full court.” —Damian Lillard on the level of play at Team USA training camp.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Dallas originally signed Lewis, but voided his contract once it was discovered he would require knee surgery.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Cleveland, Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Toronto and Washington all simply shake their heads.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
World Peace hasn’t drawn legitimate interest from NBA teams, so he’s considering playing overseas.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Silly idea anyway.
Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks
Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Just like Love, Bennett is not going to be playing in any games this summer until a deal is done.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Sixers put a multi-year plan together based on current rules, which would be adversely affected with a quick change to the system.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
This was 100 percent guaranteed.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:18 AM EDT
Hayward set to earn $62,965,420 over next four years
Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
“Everyone talks about match-ups (with big teams such as Spain), people have to match-up against us, too.” — USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6