Jan 13, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
UPDATED 10:15 am: This makes more sense.
According to the Arizona Republic on Monday Bledsoe had a small piece of his meniscus removed, which is a much less serious surgery than had been suggested previously. Removal of the meniscus in a player this young would be unusual, but if is is an arthosopic surgery they may have needed to take off part of it. That would leave a lot of cushioning that will allow a (hopefully) long career.
Bottom line in the short term expect Bledsoe back sometime after the All-Star break.
8:44 am: For Suns fans hoping the Suns can hang on to one of the playoff spots in the deep Western Conference, we have some good news:
He could be back in 4-6 weeks.
The bad news could be the length of Bledsoe’s career if this report is true.
Bledsoe had his meniscus removed during his recent knee surgery, reports Phoenix radio personality John Gambadoro.
If surgeons can, they prefer to repair a torn meniscus. That means a longer recovery time (Bledsoe might be out for the season in that case) but it is better for the knee, it is what Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose had done.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
It also is possible that only a small part was removed, basically cleaned up in a scope operation, and this was a minor injury that will have him back. That would be the most logical move for someone his age.
But sometimes the injury is such that removal is the only option.
That’s what Dwyane Wade had done back in 2002, and you saw in the immediate years after and the 2006 NBA Finals that he was able to play at an elite level.
However if you’ve watched him the past couple seasons, the trouble his knees have given him — particularly in the playoffs — you see the long-term impacts of the removal. This season he has already taken off 9 games to help those knees stay relatively healthy and so he will be able to go all out in the playoffs.
Just something to remember as Bledsoe’s career moves along term. Short term he will back and that’s the good news for the Suns.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17