Jan 13, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
It looked like things were not good when Ryan Anderson had to be carried off the court on a stretcher. We knew things were bad when the Pelicans said he would be out indefinitely with a herniated disc in his back.
Now comes the news that Anderson will be out at least two months, and he’s not sure yet if he will need surgery to repair the issue. John Reid of the New Orleans Times Picayune tweeted out the details, and the comparisons are a little frightening.
Pelicans forward Ryan Anderson said before Monday night’s game against San Antonio Spurs that he will be sidelined for two months and could possibly miss the remainder of the season because of his herniated disc injury. He could require surgery.
Pelicans forward Ryan Anderson says he has a similar issue that Peyton Manning had. Manning required surgery in 2011 to repair a herniated disc in his neck that had been pressing on a nerve.
Manning bounced back (he’s still playing football this weekend) but it took time. Combine that with the long-term history of big men with back issues in the NBA and the entire thing is a little frightening for the Pelicans.
“Obviously, I want to get back as soon as possible, but this is something that if I got hit again, it could be more than just career ending. I want to be careful about it,” Anderson said, speaking publicly Monday night about his injury for the first time since it occurred in a collision with Boston’s Gerald Wallace on Jan. 3. “We’re going to find out pretty soon how it’s healing and depending on if it’s healing (on its own), then we’ll just keep going with that. But if not, we’ll do the surgery.”
Anderson is probably the best stretch four in the NBA right now, He was averaging 19.8 points a game this season and hitting 40.9 percent from three, that despite battling through a fractured toe at one point this season.
The Pelicans without Anderson and also point guard Jrue Holiday have dropped five in a row, their dreams of making the playoffs this season dashed on the rocks of injuries.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32