Jan 13, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
When Derrick Rose last spoke with reporters, he was calling his doubters fools and refusing to declare himself out for the playoffs if the Chicago Bulls made them. He was resilient and relatively upbeat given the situation.
But he also walked to and from that Dec. 5 news conference with crutches, as seen on the right.
Rose’s rehab has been quiet since, but there he’s made one breakthrough.
Derrick Rose‘s rehabilitation from surgery to repair his torn right meniscus is progressing, and coach Tom Thibodeau said Rose no longer is using crutches.
“He’s coming along fine,” Thibodeau said. “He’s doing more and more, but he still has a long way to go.”
At first this seems like great news – and it is for anyone who enjoys watching Rose play – but it’s also a reality check. There’s a huge gap between walking without crutches and playing in the NBA.
If Chicago – which holds the Eastern Conference’s fifth-best record and a 3.5-game cushion for playoff positioning – makes the postseason, I just can’t see Rose playing. Maybe that makes me a fool.
The next step, according to Johnson, is Rose travelling with the team, because the Bulls want Rose around his teammates during his rehabilitation. After back-to-back season-ruining injuries for Rose, that’s probably best. He can’t be filled with happy thoughts when they’re on the road without him.
But simply travelling, like losing crutches, is just another reminder how far Rose is from playing.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 3
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 9
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 29
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6