Jan 13, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Bill Walton served as the color commenter for ESPN’s telecast of Thursday’s game between his alma mater, UCLA, and Gilbert Arenas’ alma mater, Arizona.
When the camera zoomed in on Arenas, Walton offered, “Gilbert lost his mind.”
Arenas’ misdeeds, especially during his time with the Washington Wizards, are well-documented. But I’m not sure Walton holds the high ground when making such a comment.
For a moment, it seemed Walton had backpedaled enough to move onto the highly competitive game, saying “Life is a series of choices. We wish Gilbert the best.” But then he continued, “We love Gilbert. He used to wake up, and he would be on our living room couch.”
Finally, play-by-play man Dave Pasch interjected: “Let’s save the rest of the story for off air.”
Somehow, Walton went even further off the rails later in the game. But it’s Arenas who lost his mind.
(hat tip: JP Finlay of CSN Washington)
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 8
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73