Jan 13, 2014, 5:44 PM EST
Bill Walton served as the color commenter for ESPN’s telecast of Thursday’s game between his alma mater, UCLA, and Gilbert Arenas’ alma mater, Arizona.
When the camera zoomed in on Arenas, Walton offered, “Gilbert lost his mind.”
Arenas’ misdeeds, especially during his time with the Washington Wizards, are well-documented. But I’m not sure Walton holds the high ground when making such a comment.
For a moment, it seemed Walton had backpedaled enough to move onto the highly competitive game, saying “Life is a series of choices. We wish Gilbert the best.” But then he continued, “We love Gilbert. He used to wake up, and he would be on our living room couch.”
Finally, play-by-play man Dave Pasch interjected: “Let’s save the rest of the story for off air.”
Somehow, Walton went even further off the rails later in the game. But it’s Arenas who lost his mind.
(hat tip: JP Finlay of CSN Washington)
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 11
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7