Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
It’s a light schedule for the Nets this week, with just one game on the calendar against the Atlanta Hawks. But it’s being played in London at The O2, and it doesn’t make sense for their injured star point guard to make the flight lasting almost seven hours just to sit and watch.
Deron Williams will not be traveling with the Nets to London this week, the team announced.
It will be the fifth straight game Williams has missed with more ankle injuries, this time opting for cortisone and platelet-rich plasma injections that are aimed in allowing him to return to the floor for the remainder of the season.
The Nets had won five straight games before falling to the Raptors on the road Saturday, just one night after needing double overtime to defeat the Miami Heat.
Williams will have missed 16 games so far this season due to injuries once Thursday’s contest against the Hawks is in the books. He’s averaged 13.6 points and 6.9 assists in 30.2 minutes per contest.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49