Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
It’s a light schedule for the Nets this week, with just one game on the calendar against the Atlanta Hawks. But it’s being played in London at The O2, and it doesn’t make sense for their injured star point guard to make the flight lasting almost seven hours just to sit and watch.
Deron Williams will not be traveling with the Nets to London this week, the team announced.
It will be the fifth straight game Williams has missed with more ankle injuries, this time opting for cortisone and platelet-rich plasma injections that are aimed in allowing him to return to the floor for the remainder of the season.
The Nets had won five straight games before falling to the Raptors on the road Saturday, just one night after needing double overtime to defeat the Miami Heat.
Williams will have missed 16 games so far this season due to injuries once Thursday’s contest against the Hawks is in the books. He’s averaged 13.6 points and 6.9 assists in 30.2 minutes per contest.
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 5
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 22
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 11
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1