Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
It’s a light schedule for the Nets this week, with just one game on the calendar against the Atlanta Hawks. But it’s being played in London at The O2, and it doesn’t make sense for their injured star point guard to make the flight lasting almost seven hours just to sit and watch.
Deron Williams will not be traveling with the Nets to London this week, the team announced.
It will be the fifth straight game Williams has missed with more ankle injuries, this time opting for cortisone and platelet-rich plasma injections that are aimed in allowing him to return to the floor for the remainder of the season.
The Nets had won five straight games before falling to the Raptors on the road Saturday, just one night after needing double overtime to defeat the Miami Heat.
Williams will have missed 16 games so far this season due to injuries once Thursday’s contest against the Hawks is in the books. He’s averaged 13.6 points and 6.9 assists in 30.2 minutes per contest.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23