Jan 10, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Remember a couple years ago how desperately the Nets were trying to pair Dwight Howard with Deron Williams? Howard wanted it to happen but Orlando wasn’t going to give him exactly what he wanted, so they sent him to Los Angeles (in a deal that worked very well for their rebuilding plans). That ended up being a cluster… you know, so now Howard in Houston.
Where his Rockets considered trying to unite him and D-Will, discussions that took place just a few weeks ago. But now that dream is dead.
But the subject of a Dwight-Deron duo was broached again in recent weeks, with the Rockets and Nets briefly delving into the particulars of a deal that would’ve sent Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin to the Nets for Williams. It made sense on many levels. The Nets would’ve gotten an insurance policy at center for the often-injured Brook Lopez (who has since been injured again and is out for the year). The Rockets would’ve solved their own center problem, as Asik doesn’t want to remain in Houston. They’ve been trying to get off the Lin contract, and the Nets are one team that wouldn’t mind his $15 million balloon payment next season. All the better to stick it to the Knicks.
But the teams shelved the idea, which never gained any traction.
Williams just had both platelet rich plasma therapy (PRP) and cortisone injections in both ankles to help with his swelling and pain issues. He is out this weekend and maybe for the Nets one game next week (against the Hawks in London Thursday). No team is eager to take on Williams and his fragile ankles right now (not to mention his massive contract).
Know that the Rockets are still trying to find a new home for Asik, as is his agent. The problem is the $15 million balloon payment Asik is due next year has teams thinking they will wait an extra year until he becomes a free agent and they can get him at a reasonable price. Still, I expect some kind of deal to come together before the trade deadline hits, too many teams could use his defense and rebounding.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36