Report: Rajon Rondo plans return Jan. 17 against Lakers

Jan 10, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Boston is 13-23 this season and has been a solid defensive team — signs that Brad Stevens can coach at the NBA level (Brandon Bass told PBT he was impressed with the young mentor).

The question has been: How good will the Celtics be with Rajon Rondo in the lineup?

We may find out sooner rather than later. Rondo is targeting a Jan. 17 return from ACL surgery in a game against the rival Lakers, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.

Rajon Rondo is targeting the Boston Celtics’ Jan. 17 home game against the Los Angeles Lakers for his possible season debut, league sources told Yahoo Sports….

“I feel like I’m ready now, but I’m not in shape,” he said. “I can go out there and I can give the team 10 minutes. I want to be productive out there. I don’t want to limp or drag behind because of my cardio. That would be hurting the team.

Earlier in the day Rondo had said he planed to return before the All-Star Break, reports CSNNE.com.

Rondo said that he is feeling confident, but that he needs to get his conditioning up to par. While there had been talk of him doing a rehab assignment with the Maine Red Claws of the D-League that seems to have faded.

Boston could use Rondo’s playmaking and skills on the court.

“We’re really looking forward to getting him back on the court,” Brandon Bass told ProBasketballTalk. “I think he’s huge for the team. He’s a veteran player, he’s been on winning teams, he’s won a championship, and he’s one of those pieces that when you add him to your team he simplifies things. He makes things easier for everybody. On good teams everybody doesn’t have to make all the decisions, Rondo simplifies things like he did for Hall of Famers and like he’ll do for second and third year players. And ninth year players like myself.”

1. kjereld615 - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I just hate ACL tears because it seems once it tears the first time it is very likely it will tear again. Just watching Rose and how hard he worked this summer to get back and seeing him go down again is enough reason to worry about player such as Rondo coming back from the same injury. I just hope That Rondo remains healthy this season, and that not only because I’m a Celtics fan but because I’m a fan of the game and Rondo make the NBA better when he is on the court not off.

• andyhr17 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM

While your point stands, Rose’s injury was unrelated to his ACL injury. It was his other knee and it wasn’t the ACL.

2. Kansachusetts - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Wonderful news!

3. coachjac30 - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Just in time to show off his health before the trade deadline.

4. dolphindubs - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM

@coachjac30

Boston would be stupid to trade Rondo. He might be the most undervalued guy in the league. Rondo is a complete game-changer.

Love how he plays the game! Cant wait to see him back out on the court.

• coachjac30 - Jan 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM

so you think they should keep him, win just enough games to make the playoffs, lose in the first round, and do the same thing next year, and then he leaves for a better deal somewhere else?

I send Rondo out of town on the first thing smoking..The rumored deal that was going to send him Sacramento for 2nd picks, isaih Thomas, BenMclemore, and Thornton, no brainer to me.

Rondo is overrated, not under. As is Avery Bradley, Jeff Greene, etc.. Fans of teams (I am a Celtics fan) often overvalue their own players and nothing could be more true about Rondo

• andyhr17 - Jan 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Yeah, hate those “overrated” point guards that can put up a triple double on any given night.

• coachjac30 - Jan 13, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Be honest, you like Rondo because of all the “and-1″ crap he can do. The guy is good, but he’s probably the 10-12th best point guard in the league.

Lets see when he comes back. He will average 11 pts, 7 assists, 3 rebounds the rest of the season. Pretty good numbers, but not as great as people want to say he is.

5. asublimeday - Jan 11, 2014 at 4:48 AM

Don’t blow out your other knee.

6. sumkat - Jan 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Good. Help them win a few games. Too close to my sixers in the standing for my liking.

Although I expect the sixers to tank for real once them pawn off any, or any combo of Turner Young and Hawes. I think they can get a first (late or future) for Turner/Young. Not so sure about that with Hawes, but all 3 will have multiple team interested, so maybe you can play one off the other

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches