Jan 10, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
And now Jrue Holiday.
Pelicans starting point guard Holiday has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right tibia and will be out indefinitely, the team announced Friday morning. There is no timetable for his return, but this is going to be weeks at least.
Holiday had played in all 34 Pelicans games this season and played just shy of 34 minutes a night, averaging 14.3 points, 7.9 assists and 4.2 rebounds a game. The raw numbers are down slightly from when he had to carry the Sixers attack the year before, but this year he had better weapons to set up and with that was more efficient. However, Holiday struggled some the past week or so, this explains it.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Pelicans offense falls 7.3 points per 100 possessions when Holiday is off the court. This was a team that felt like it could come together and make a push in the second half of the season, but not without Holiday.
The Pelicans traded for Holiday on draft day last June, sending Nerlens Noel to Philadelphia for Holiday.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 0
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 13
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 0
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 35
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 28
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22