Jan 10, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
The Lakers (and Clippers) are about to be kicked out of Staples Center for a couple of weeks so Lorde, Robin Thicke and Katy Perry can
drag down the collective musical intelligence of our nation perform and win those oh-so-prestigious Grammy awards.
When the Lakers get home from that 12-day adventure, Mike D’Antoni is hoping the team is greeted with a big surprise:
D’Antoni was on ESPN 710 radio in Los Angeles Friday and said this, via Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
D'Antoni hopes Kobe, Nash return Jan. 28 vs. Indy, right after Lakers' 12-day road trip: "Hopefully both of them are ready."—
Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) January 10, 2014
That seems early for the Kobe timetable from the fractured bone in his knee. Yes, this is Kobe and he is a mythological superhero who can play through any pain and all that, I get it, but bones have to heal and then there would be conditioning (lower extremities issues limit conditioning). It’s not unreasonable early, it could happen, it is just a week or two earlier than expected.
And if he is back then, you know the league is not going to let him out of playing in the All-Star Game.
As for Steve Nash, who knows? He is trying to learn how to move and shoot differently, in ways that do not aggravate the nerve root issue that has bothered him for a year now. That takes time.
But at least those two will be back, healthy soon and the Lakers can make that run to the 10 seed in the West.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37