Jan 9, 2014, 10:14 AM EDT
The Timberwolves lost a tough one at home to the Suns on Wednesday, which is nothing really to be ashamed of. Phoenix has been one of the league’s nicer surprises in the first half of the season, and now sits at seventh in the West with a 21-13 overall record.
Minnesota has struggled, and the loss dropped them a game below .500, which is below expectations for the way the season would play out.
It’s beginning to frustrate Kevin Love, who lashed out at teammates after the loss for showing a lack of personal investment on the sidelines.
“We can’t have two guys sitting at the end of the bench, who play good minutes, just sitting there and not getting up at timeouts,” Love said. “We all need to be in this together. That kind of pisses me off. We’re supposed to be a team.”
“It’s to a point that where those two guys, if and when I did that last year when maybe I didn’t sit out for the game for 48 minutes and so on and so forth, they would have killed me,” Love said. “They would have aired me out. It’s two guys we expect more from them, and I think they expect more from themselves.”
This may not end well for the Timberwolves, but they have plenty of time to turn things around.
Love can opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent after next season. There’s already a bit of tension between Love and the front office for the way his last contract was negotiated, and if he feels his teammates aren’t the right ones to get the franchise into regular postseason contention, his decision to leave will be made that much easier.
This is the second time this week a team has come undone after getting beaten by the Suns. The Bucks similarly expressed postgame, inner-team frustration after losing in Phoenix, to the point where a public argument broke out in the locker room in front of reporters that involved Gary Neal and Larry Sanders.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29