Jan 9, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Officially he has is a sprained left ankle.
But when you consider Deron Williams’ ankle was treated with a cortisone shot plus platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections — plus he got a PRP injection and a cortisone shot in his right ankle joint to “relieve inflammation” — you had to know he would be out a while.
Williams will be out this weekend when the Nets take on the Heat (Friday) and Raptors (Saturday), reports Tim Bontemps of the New York Post.
The Nets have just one game the next week — against the Hawks in London — and coach Jason Kidd said Williams is questionable for that game.
The Nets have won four in a row, which in the Leastern Conference was enough to jump them up to the eight seed as of Wednesday night. They may lose a couple games this weekend without Williams (although they did beat the Thunder and Warriors in this win streak) but they were likely to lose them anyway.
The Nets need a healthy D-Will, if they can give him extended time off missing these games and the one against the Hawks they should do it. Let him rest until Jan. 20 (vs. Knicks) and see how his body responds to the rest.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47