Jan 9, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Officially he has is a sprained left ankle.
But when you consider Deron Williams’ ankle was treated with a cortisone shot plus platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections — plus he got a PRP injection and a cortisone shot in his right ankle joint to “relieve inflammation” — you had to know he would be out a while.
Williams will be out this weekend when the Nets take on the Heat (Friday) and Raptors (Saturday), reports Tim Bontemps of the New York Post.
The Nets have just one game the next week — against the Hawks in London — and coach Jason Kidd said Williams is questionable for that game.
The Nets have won four in a row, which in the Leastern Conference was enough to jump them up to the eight seed as of Wednesday night. They may lose a couple games this weekend without Williams (although they did beat the Thunder and Warriors in this win streak) but they were likely to lose them anyway.
The Nets need a healthy D-Will, if they can give him extended time off missing these games and the one against the Hawks they should do it. Let him rest until Jan. 20 (vs. Knicks) and see how his body responds to the rest.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61