Jan 9, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Officially he has is a sprained left ankle.
But when you consider Deron Williams’ ankle was treated with a cortisone shot plus platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections — plus he got a PRP injection and a cortisone shot in his right ankle joint to “relieve inflammation” — you had to know he would be out a while.
Williams will be out this weekend when the Nets take on the Heat (Friday) and Raptors (Saturday), reports Tim Bontemps of the New York Post.
The Nets have just one game the next week — against the Hawks in London — and coach Jason Kidd said Williams is questionable for that game.
The Nets have won four in a row, which in the Leastern Conference was enough to jump them up to the eight seed as of Wednesday night. They may lose a couple games this weekend without Williams (although they did beat the Thunder and Warriors in this win streak) but they were likely to lose them anyway.
The Nets need a healthy D-Will, if they can give him extended time off missing these games and the one against the Hawks they should do it. Let him rest until Jan. 20 (vs. Knicks) and see how his body responds to the rest.
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 21
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 17
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 55
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 38
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 88
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 18
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 38