Andrew Bynum clears waivers, is officially a free agent

Jan 9, 2014, 8:06 PM EST

Bynum Cavaliers Getty Images

As of 6:00 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, Andrew Bynum has cleared waivers and is now an unrestricted free agent.

A quick reminder of how we got here — Bynum was suspended by the Cavaliers for “conduct detrimental to the team,” a short-term solution while they attempted to trade him before his contract would become fully guaranteed on Jan. 7.

The Lakers and Jazz were reportedly in the mix, but it was the Bulls who offered up Luol Deng, and that was enough to get the Cavaliers to pull the trigger. Chicago saved money by waiving Bynum, and got a future protected first round pick in exchange for a player that would be leaving this summer in free agency. Cleveland, meanwhile, got a half-season rental of a two-time All-Star in Deng, which will only enhance their playoff chances.

Now that Bynum is available, there are several teams interested — eight, to be exact. The Heat and the Clippers are reportedly at the top of Bynum’s wish list, but it’s unclear whether the dollars available will be enough to get Bynum to sign with one of those contenders.

(Rob Mahoney of SI.com has a great breakdown of which teams can offer how much.)

L.A.’s interest may be impacted by Chris Paul‘s injury, and in Miami, the Heat don’t need bigs for the regular season, and they already have Greg Oden working his way back in case a postseason matchup against the Pacers and Roy Hibbert is indeed on the horizon.

Bynum is going to have to prove he still has the desire to play when meeting with teams, and that will have as much as anything to do with the offers that may come in for his services. If he truly wants back in, he will find a home somewhere this season; exactly where and under what terms remains to be seen.

1. machine64red2 - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Guy is a clown. Ran out of Cleveland after having an affair with a coaches wife….

2. edwardemanuelson - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Fan of neither team, but if this guy chooses to sign for more money from a team BESIDES the Heat (or Clips), I will be completely shocked and utterly convinced he’s only about a payday.

• money2long - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM

theres a miami fan out there somewhere, who upon hearing the news of him clearing waivers, ordered his custom made bynum heat jersey.

• ranfan12 - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM

And then it will be burned with the words traitor on it lol

• money2long - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM

lol..funny guy u r

• ranfan12 - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM

history does repeat itself xD

i’ve seen a couple of jerseys burned when players went the other way

3. ranfan12 - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I think it’s a good chance he’s going to get picked up this month. If he ends up on the clippers, then doc is going to put him to work. I give him credit playing through the pain but i’d rather have him put up at least 13+ a game than those rare games when he dominated for a little bit with the cavs

4. 00maltliquor - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Single file line fellas!!

5. 00maltliquor - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I’m secretly (or maybe not so secretly) hoping the reason the Lakers cut Shawne Williams was to pick Bynum back up. I think he goes to MIA (as he should) but I can see him going to BKN or DAL, or even right down the hallway. Call me crazy but I’d be stoked to have him back (for CHEAP).

• money2long - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM

kobe could convince him. the times when bynum was being called out for his egregious play on the court while in LA , kobe said he reminds him of himself, a fiery edge.

6. ohioteamsusuallysuck - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I’m a cavs fan. Imagine if this was a set up and they resign him and he dominates. ( I’m pretty sure they can’t resign him )

• money2long - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM

so why are we imagining

• dannymac17 - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM

cause its the internet.

• money2long - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM

oh okay.

is that the same method wikipedia uses? just imagine what sounds good and pass it off as reality because it’s the internet? i get it now

7. legend30 - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

As a Miami fan (live in South Florida), I trust whatever decision the front office makes. For those who keep saying Miami, keep in mind they have 15 guaranteed contracts. Miami would have to trade Joel Anthony, and no one is taking his contract, unless they throw in some draft picks. My guess, he ends up with the Clippers or OKC (a team no one expected).

• wpierrecc - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:08 AM

He is a free agent, all the heat need to do is cut someone on the roster if they want Bynum

8. pfic15 - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:45 PM

GMs: Take a stand and leave this guy at home.

• ProBasketballPundit - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM

This is my favorite theoretical yet. Stonewall Bynum until he’s working out in a gym by himself and begging to get another chance in the NBA. He needs a good humbling… if this process hasn’t been humbling enough.

9. shanelsweet - Jan 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM

So, how long until he signs? I bet he goes on “vacation” for a while while he considers his offers. Try not to enjoy your time off too much for once, OK Andrew?

10. daddyb1gdrawz - Jan 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Dont get me wrong, I get why Miami would be interested in Bynum but I am not convinced he wants to play basketball. As a Heat fan it would be a nice luxury to have Bynum and Oden while putting Bosh at his old position. That would be big against the likes of New York, New Jersey and Indiana.But it seems inserting Bynum with the Heat brings in chemistry problems. I can certainly see the Clippers or Oklahoma as options.

11. cariboolean - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I’d be surprised and disappointed if the Clips pick up this guy because they saw up close what a lazy jerk he was while with the Lakers. He’s lazy, he doesn’t want to play, he blew off Kareem (Kareem!) as a personal tutor, he’s spoiled and immature. Of course the Clips’ backup center Ryan Hollins is awful so even a lousy Bynum might be better…but yuck!

12. zerole00 - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I’m curious to see who’ll take the Bynum bait next. My gut says the Nets.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches