Jan 8, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
There were a whole lot of Andrew Bynum for Pau Gasol trade rumors out there last weekend, ones that never came to fruition because the Lakers wanted pieces to help them down the line (young players or picks) and the Cavaliers had no intention of giving those up because they already had the Luol Deng trade in their pocket.
Gasol has spent the past few seasons in the crosshairs of trade rumors and he’s not going to let that stop him from a good night out — Saturday night with the Lakers off he went to see “The Lion King.” (Which you should see, despite how you would think it’s a Disney kids movie and it is going to suck, it transfers very well to the stage as a big production musical.) Gasol was having a good time out on the town with his family…
Then during intermission Gasol made the mistake of checking his phone.
Saturday night the Lakers’ radio station in Los Angeles tweeted out that the deal was done and Gasol was headed to Cleveland. That was quickly shot down by other reporters and it was retracted by the station but Gasol saw it, reports Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“I checked my Twitter at intermission and I see that it’s almost official,” Gasol said Tuesday after the Lakers’ 110-97 loss to the Dallas Mavericks. “I was getting all these messages, ‘Farewell, Pau. Thanks for all your services,’ all that stuff.
“It was a really good musical. I enjoyed it. I brought my parents and my little brother. It was a nice family time. But that kind of affected a little bit, the rest of the show.”
Asked, jokingly, whether it stopped him from enjoying the musical’s famous song “Hakuna Matata,” which means “no worries” in Swahili, Gasol laughed and said, “Yeah, that would’ve been a good way to go. But that’s how I approach things anyway, most of the time.”
Gasol, with his easy-going and even demeanor (that sometimes frustrates Kobe Bryant and draws the ire of some shortsighted Lakers fans) probably could handle this better than everyone.
But that would suck. Sometimes as we try to come up with trades we all can forget these players are people with family and friends who we are trying to uproot. It’s part of the life and they are well compensated for it, but still I think we can all agree that moving sucks. Having to do it on short notice sucks more.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17