Jan 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
I don’t have much to say, besides this is awesome.
Most know him as Nelly, platinum-selling rapper and part owner of the Charlotte Bobcats. Bradley Beal also knows him as Cornell Haynes, the family friend who would occasionally walk him to elementary school before hitting it big.
Nelly was a former star athlete at University City High in suburban St. Louis, where Beal’s mother, Besta, was a physical education teacher and athletic director. So, Beal can’t remember the first time he met Nelly, only that it was “ages ago.”
“I knew who we was, but I didn’t know,” Beal said of the now 39-year-old Nelly. “He wasn’t as big as he is now, but he was an up-and-coming rapper and eventually ‘Country Grammar’ came out” in 2000.
The “Country Grammar” music video was shot in St. Louis and features a neighborhood block party with a ton of extras. Is it possible a young Beal is somewhere in the crowd? I think he would have mentioned that to Lee, but I’m going to watch the video multiple times to see whether I can spot Beal. It’s totally for research, not because I just want to listen to the great song on loop.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14