Jan 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
I don’t have much to say, besides this is awesome.
Most know him as Nelly, platinum-selling rapper and part owner of the Charlotte Bobcats. Bradley Beal also knows him as Cornell Haynes, the family friend who would occasionally walk him to elementary school before hitting it big.
Nelly was a former star athlete at University City High in suburban St. Louis, where Beal’s mother, Besta, was a physical education teacher and athletic director. So, Beal can’t remember the first time he met Nelly, only that it was “ages ago.”
“I knew who we was, but I didn’t know,” Beal said of the now 39-year-old Nelly. “He wasn’t as big as he is now, but he was an up-and-coming rapper and eventually ‘Country Grammar’ came out” in 2000.
The “Country Grammar” music video was shot in St. Louis and features a neighborhood block party with a ton of extras. Is it possible a young Beal is somewhere in the crowd? I think he would have mentioned that to Lee, but I’m going to watch the video multiple times to see whether I can spot Beal. It’s totally for research, not because I just want to listen to the great song on loop.
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 6
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8