Jan 8, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
J.R. Smith got caught Sunday untying Shawn Marion’s shoe Sunday during the Knicks win over Dallas — watch the video above, where during Dirk Nowitzki’s free throws Smith bends over, pretends to check his own shoes and unties Marion’s.
He got a warning from the league but there was no fine for it. However our own Dan Feldman noted this was not the first time Smith pulled this trick — he did it to Dwight Howard the Friday before (then told the league Howard did it to him). And he tried to do it to Greg Monroe of the Pistons Tuesday night.
Wednesday the league offices had enough and fined Smith $50,000, officially for unsportsmanlike conduct.
That should get his attention. If you wonder why so much money (10 times to cost of two egregious flops) it’s because he defied a league warning. That and the league wanted to send a message to other guys around the league, lest this start to become a thing.
By the way, Smith gets fined a lot for interesting reasons.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 19
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 72
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13