Jan 8, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
J.R. Smith got caught Sunday untying Shawn Marion’s shoe Sunday during the Knicks win over Dallas — watch the video above, where during Dirk Nowitzki’s free throws Smith bends over, pretends to check his own shoes and unties Marion’s.
He got a warning from the league but there was no fine for it. However our own Dan Feldman noted this was not the first time Smith pulled this trick — he did it to Dwight Howard the Friday before (then told the league Howard did it to him). And he tried to do it to Greg Monroe of the Pistons Tuesday night.
Wednesday the league offices had enough and fined Smith $50,000, officially for unsportsmanlike conduct.
That should get his attention. If you wonder why so much money (10 times to cost of two egregious flops) it’s because he defied a league warning. That and the league wanted to send a message to other guys around the league, lest this start to become a thing.
By the way, Smith gets fined a lot for interesting reasons.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11