Jan 8, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
J.R. Smith got caught Sunday untying Shawn Marion’s shoe Sunday during the Knicks win over Dallas — watch the video above, where during Dirk Nowitzki’s free throws Smith bends over, pretends to check his own shoes and unties Marion’s.
He got a warning from the league but there was no fine for it. However our own Dan Feldman noted this was not the first time Smith pulled this trick — he did it to Dwight Howard the Friday before (then told the league Howard did it to him). And he tried to do it to Greg Monroe of the Pistons Tuesday night.
Wednesday the league offices had enough and fined Smith $50,000, officially for unsportsmanlike conduct.
That should get his attention. If you wonder why so much money (10 times to cost of two egregious flops) it’s because he defied a league warning. That and the league wanted to send a message to other guys around the league, lest this start to become a thing.
By the way, Smith gets fined a lot for interesting reasons.
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 24
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 27
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4