Jan 8, 2014, 1:23 PM EST
J.R. Smith got caught Sunday untying Shawn Marion’s shoe Sunday during the Knicks win over Dallas — watch the video above, where during Dirk Nowitzki’s free throws Smith bends over, pretends to check his own shoes and unties Marion’s.
He got a warning from the league but there was no fine for it. However our own Dan Feldman noted this was not the first time Smith pulled this trick — he did it to Dwight Howard the Friday before (then told the league Howard did it to him). And he tried to do it to Greg Monroe of the Pistons Tuesday night.
Wednesday the league offices had enough and fined Smith $50,000, officially for unsportsmanlike conduct.
That should get his attention. If you wonder why so much money (10 times to cost of two egregious flops) it’s because he defied a league warning. That and the league wanted to send a message to other guys around the league, lest this start to become a thing.
By the way, Smith gets fined a lot for interesting reasons.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28