Jan 8, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
J.R. Smith got caught Sunday untying Shawn Marion’s shoe Sunday during the Knicks win over Dallas — watch the video above, where during Dirk Nowitzki’s free throws Smith bends over, pretends to check his own shoes and unties Marion’s.
He got a warning from the league but there was no fine for it. However our own Dan Feldman noted this was not the first time Smith pulled this trick — he did it to Dwight Howard the Friday before (then told the league Howard did it to him). And he tried to do it to Greg Monroe of the Pistons Tuesday night.
Wednesday the league offices had enough and fined Smith $50,000, officially for unsportsmanlike conduct.
That should get his attention. If you wonder why so much money (10 times to cost of two egregious flops) it’s because he defied a league warning. That and the league wanted to send a message to other guys around the league, lest this start to become a thing.
By the way, Smith gets fined a lot for interesting reasons.
J.R. Smith has been fined for: Twitter comments, twitter photos, yelling at Mark Cuban, flagrant fouls, flopping and, now, untying shoes.—
Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 08, 2014
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6