Jan 8, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Now, Garnett is playing with a new teammate he calls Jesus: Joe Johnson.
“He might not be there when you call on him, but he’s there when you need him,” Garnett said in the NetsDaily video. “Joe Jesus.”
Garnett has a point.
Of the four players who’ve made at least three shots this season while their team trailed by three or fewer points or was tied in the last 30 seconds – Kevin Love, Damian Lillard, Jeff Teague and Johnson – Johnson has the lowest scoring average. Last season, Johnson led the NBA in such baskets with eight. And, again, he averaged fewer points per game than anyone else – LeBron James, Al Horford, Dirk Nowitzki and Rudy Gay – who made at least five of those shots.
As athletes’ nicknames have sputtered into a combination of initials with jersey numbers, first initials with first syllables of last names and other unimaginative forms, this is a winner.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20