Jan 8, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Now, Garnett is playing with a new teammate he calls Jesus: Joe Johnson.
“He might not be there when you call on him, but he’s there when you need him,” Garnett said in the NetsDaily video. “Joe Jesus.”
Garnett has a point.
Of the four players who’ve made at least three shots this season while their team trailed by three or fewer points or was tied in the last 30 seconds – Kevin Love, Damian Lillard, Jeff Teague and Johnson – Johnson has the lowest scoring average. Last season, Johnson led the NBA in such baskets with eight. And, again, he averaged fewer points per game than anyone else – LeBron James, Al Horford, Dirk Nowitzki and Rudy Gay – who made at least five of those shots.
As athletes’ nicknames have sputtered into a combination of initials with jersey numbers, first initials with first syllables of last names and other unimaginative forms, this is a winner.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50