Jan 8, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Now, Garnett is playing with a new teammate he calls Jesus: Joe Johnson.
“He might not be there when you call on him, but he’s there when you need him,” Garnett said in the NetsDaily video. “Joe Jesus.”
Garnett has a point.
Of the four players who’ve made at least three shots this season while their team trailed by three or fewer points or was tied in the last 30 seconds – Kevin Love, Damian Lillard, Jeff Teague and Johnson – Johnson has the lowest scoring average. Last season, Johnson led the NBA in such baskets with eight. And, again, he averaged fewer points per game than anyone else – LeBron James, Al Horford, Dirk Nowitzki and Rudy Gay – who made at least five of those shots.
As athletes’ nicknames have sputtered into a combination of initials with jersey numbers, first initials with first syllables of last names and other unimaginative forms, this is a winner.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 3
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 2
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6