Jan 7, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
For one night Monday, the Clippers’ offense looked just fine without Chris Paul. Unfortunately, the Clippers don’t get to play a disinterested and dispirited Orlando Magic team every night.
With CP3 out, the Clippers need more guys who can create shots.
Which is why the Clippers are thinking of making a roster change and bringing in guys like Hedo Turkoglu or Sasha Vujacic. I know, but beggars can’t be choosers. ESPN’s Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne collaborated on this story.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Clippers could make a new 10-day signing as early as Tuesday, with Vujacic and Turkoglu currently at the forefront of L.A.’s thinking.
The Clippers, though, would have to open up a roster spot before making any further signings and face an immediate decision on Stephen Jackson, whose minimum-salary contract will be guaranteed for the rest of the season if he’s still on the Clippers roster beyond Tuesday at 5 p.m.
Vujacic spent the last two seasons playing in Turkey but rather than return he’s been living in Los Angeles, working out and hoping for a chance to get back in the NBA. Turkoglu, at age 34, has essentially been paid by the Magic to stay away from the team for the better part of two seasons — he played in 11 games for them last season and was 2-of-33 shooting outside 10 feet. Neither of these guys is a quality defender.
But the Clippers know they need something with Paul out up to six weeks with a separated shoulder. So this is what they have to choose from.
The Clippers already signed Darius Morris to a 10-day contract on Monday. Again, beggars can’t be choosers.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11