Jan 7, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
For one night Monday, the Clippers’ offense looked just fine without Chris Paul. Unfortunately, the Clippers don’t get to play a disinterested and dispirited Orlando Magic team every night.
With CP3 out, the Clippers need more guys who can create shots.
Which is why the Clippers are thinking of making a roster change and bringing in guys like Hedo Turkoglu or Sasha Vujacic. I know, but beggars can’t be choosers. ESPN’s Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne collaborated on this story.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Clippers could make a new 10-day signing as early as Tuesday, with Vujacic and Turkoglu currently at the forefront of L.A.’s thinking.
The Clippers, though, would have to open up a roster spot before making any further signings and face an immediate decision on Stephen Jackson, whose minimum-salary contract will be guaranteed for the rest of the season if he’s still on the Clippers roster beyond Tuesday at 5 p.m.
Vujacic spent the last two seasons playing in Turkey but rather than return he’s been living in Los Angeles, working out and hoping for a chance to get back in the NBA. Turkoglu, at age 34, has essentially been paid by the Magic to stay away from the team for the better part of two seasons — he played in 11 games for them last season and was 2-of-33 shooting outside 10 feet. Neither of these guys is a quality defender.
But the Clippers know they need something with Paul out up to six weeks with a separated shoulder. So this is what they have to choose from.
The Clippers already signed Darius Morris to a 10-day contract on Monday. Again, beggars can’t be choosers.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 24
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 15
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7