Jan 7, 2014, 3:07 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while watching one heck of a freshman quarterback…
Ricky Rubio, Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic (Minnesota’s starters). The Timberwolves blew out the Sixers and the starters were a key reason — in 21 minutes the starting five put up 65 points and was +17, they hit 10-of-12 threes and they had an offensive rating of 127.9. They played at a pace of 116 possessions per 48 minutes. Great night on offense, if they can do it again Wednesday against the Suns the Timberwolves will finally be above .500.
Joe Johnson, Brooklyn Nets. With Deron Williams out with a sprained ankle (again) the Nets hopes of keeping a modest two-game winning streak going really fell to Johnson — and he delivered. Mostly. He had 23 points including 9 in the fourth quarter, one of which was a three that put the Nets ahead for good. He shot just 10-of-22 from the field, not exactly efficient, but the Nets needed points and someone to create shots on the night and he got it done better than Jeff Teague could for the Hawks. So the Nets have a three game winning streak.
Darren Collison, Los Angeles Clippers. All you’ve been hearing for the past few days is how he’s no Chris Paul — and with reason, he’s no Chris Paul. But he played well against what passed for Orlando’s “defense” on Monday night and racked up 21 points, 13 in the first quarter when the Clippers pulled away, plus had 7 assists four steals.
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 10
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 31
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 11
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 9
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 19