Jan 7, 2014, 3:07 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while watching one heck of a freshman quarterback…
Ricky Rubio, Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, Kevin Love, Nikola Pekovic (Minnesota’s starters). The Timberwolves blew out the Sixers and the starters were a key reason — in 21 minutes the starting five put up 65 points and was +17, they hit 10-of-12 threes and they had an offensive rating of 127.9. They played at a pace of 116 possessions per 48 minutes. Great night on offense, if they can do it again Wednesday against the Suns the Timberwolves will finally be above .500.
Joe Johnson, Brooklyn Nets. With Deron Williams out with a sprained ankle (again) the Nets hopes of keeping a modest two-game winning streak going really fell to Johnson — and he delivered. Mostly. He had 23 points including 9 in the fourth quarter, one of which was a three that put the Nets ahead for good. He shot just 10-of-22 from the field, not exactly efficient, but the Nets needed points and someone to create shots on the night and he got it done better than Jeff Teague could for the Hawks. So the Nets have a three game winning streak.
Darren Collison, Los Angeles Clippers. All you’ve been hearing for the past few days is how he’s no Chris Paul — and with reason, he’s no Chris Paul. But he played well against what passed for Orlando’s “defense” on Monday night and racked up 21 points, 13 in the first quarter when the Clippers pulled away, plus had 7 assists four steals.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 37
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6