Jan 7, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
During the third quarter of the Magic’s blowout loss to the Clippers Monday night, Nikola Vucevic went up to try and block a Blake Griffin shot, ended up getting flipped and took a hard fall where he landed on his side and his head hit the floor.
Vucevic suffered a concussion and the Orlando big man is likely out at least a week, tweets John Denton of the Magic’s official Web site. Vucevic is now in the league’s concussion protocol, where he will have to pass a series of mental tests (based on a baseline from an earlier test he took) to show he is symptom free plus do that after undergoing a series of increasingly physically demanding tests.
Vucevic is averaging 13 points and 11 rebounds a game for the Magic, playing well on a struggling team and looking like one of the guys they could count on as a long-term part of the core being built there.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is Vucevic’s second concussion in as many seasons. He missed five games last year.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21