Jan 7, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
During the third quarter of the Magic’s blowout loss to the Clippers Monday night, Nikola Vucevic went up to try and block a Blake Griffin shot, ended up getting flipped and took a hard fall where he landed on his side and his head hit the floor.
Vucevic suffered a concussion and the Orlando big man is likely out at least a week, tweets John Denton of the Magic’s official Web site. Vucevic is now in the league’s concussion protocol, where he will have to pass a series of mental tests (based on a baseline from an earlier test he took) to show he is symptom free plus do that after undergoing a series of increasingly physically demanding tests.
Vucevic is averaging 13 points and 11 rebounds a game for the Magic, playing well on a struggling team and looking like one of the guys they could count on as a long-term part of the core being built there.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is Vucevic’s second concussion in as many seasons. He missed five games last year.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 2
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 17
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7