Jan 7, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
During the third quarter of the Magic’s blowout loss to the Clippers Monday night, Nikola Vucevic went up to try and block a Blake Griffin shot, ended up getting flipped and took a hard fall where he landed on his side and his head hit the floor.
Vucevic suffered a concussion and the Orlando big man is likely out at least a week, tweets John Denton of the Magic’s official Web site. Vucevic is now in the league’s concussion protocol, where he will have to pass a series of mental tests (based on a baseline from an earlier test he took) to show he is symptom free plus do that after undergoing a series of increasingly physically demanding tests.
Vucevic is averaging 13 points and 11 rebounds a game for the Magic, playing well on a struggling team and looking like one of the guys they could count on as a long-term part of the core being built there.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is Vucevic’s second concussion in as many seasons. He missed five games last year.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 2
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29